Author Topic: Hunts  (Read 1006 times)

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
Hunts
« on: September 11, 2010, 07:24:22 PM »
Cept for some bowhunting. It's All quiet on the western front. Sorry I could not resist!

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
Re: Hunts
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 07:10:39 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean.  I have the B elk tag here in N. Idaho so I had one week to bowhunt,  got busted by pesky calfs every time I would try to get close to a big ole tasty cow.  Only had one bull bugling last weekend, and he was keeping his distance.  Only 22 days til I can chase em around with a rifle. 
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 07:58:09 AM »
This is one of the few years I got no tags for anything at all. Thank God the Quail populations are good this year. It's about all I can do. I just can't bring myself to get excited about bows or muzzleloaders.

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 08:21:30 AM »
This is one of the few years I got no tags for anything at all. Thank God the Quail populations are good this year. It's about all I can do. I just can't bring myself to get excited about bows or muzzleloaders.

They don't excite me either, its just a chance to up my odds and get a little more time in the field.  I would much rather hunt with my rifle in hand than a stick and string, but here in N. Idaho its all over the counter general season hunting.  So there is a lot of pressure and the terrain is mountainous and very thick.  Hunter success for elk is right around 13%.

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 05:48:39 PM »
Problem here is a lot of the good bowhunt areas have went to a draw like centerfire rifles. I just can't deal with muzzleloaders,eventho the season is rather generous.

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 01:05:45 AM »
Problem here is a lot of the good bowhunt areas have went to a draw like centerfire rifles. I just can't deal with muzzleloaders,eventho the season is rather generous.

The smokepoles aren't to bad, if you get a good one.  A few years back I bought one of the Remington model 700ML's, it has the same safety and bolt, and trigger as my other rifles.  I shoots very nice and is easy to get apart to clean.  Only 19 days until rifle season!!!

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 04:50:07 PM »
Perhaps I need to reconsider. The muzzleloader seasons are long down here in the desert. They also happen to happen during the ruts.

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 01:18:19 AM »
We are limited to exposed ignition, no sabots, lead only projectiles, no 209  ignition, and no optics.  If I could have a scope, and shoot jacketed projectiles I would easily be able to harvest game out to 150-200 yds.  Right now I limit my shots to under 100.  18 days until rifle season :)