Author Topic: Deer hunting near Austin  (Read 1890 times)

Offline texasbilly

• Trade Count: (1)
Deer hunting near Austin
« on: August 23, 2010, 04:09:45 PM »
My grandson attends the University of Texas in Austin.  He has never hunted deer, but told me that he would like to. 
Is there a place within 50 miles of Austin where I could take him to hunt deer that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

texasbilly@comcast.net

Offline Whopper

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Deer hunting near Austin
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 10:52:03 AM »

Offline HL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:11:40 AM »
texasbilly, sorry to hear about your grandson's stigma he will have to live with.  ;D

Just an Aggie kidding around. But the advice previously given, is your best bet.

Have fun and good luck.

Offline texasbilly

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 04:36:22 PM »
Does anyone have any experience deer hunting in one of the public areas near Austin?  Is it crowded?  More importantly, are there any deer in these areas?

tex

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 03:45:05 AM »
If the public areas you are referring to are anything like the rest of the surrounding area, there are more deer than you can shake a stick at. The only problem with hunting public land in Texas, is many time, there are people out there that don't know the first thing about safety, even though they pass "the test", making hunting very dangerous. It's just a lot safer if you can find a place to lease, that way you know where people are.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 08:19:22 AM »
Most of the properties have very low success due to pressure. If it is just meat deer you want the just search Google for Texas Doe hunting. I had a guy I knew that just charged $35 for a nice fat doe for his private property.  That was in south Travis County. Also check the local newspapers for the same thing. Classifieds. Public lands are good for rabbit and other small game but not usually deer. Too many people.

Offline walker944

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 03:25:37 PM »
Your best bet will be checking in austin's craigslist.com; just did a quick search and found this: http://austin.craigslist.org/spo/2084339167.html.  Where there's one there's most likely more.  I see them pretty regularly in the San Antonio listings.  Look in the FOR SALE section, then in SPORTING.  Good luck!!!

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 05:05:39 AM »
Good point. Also if you just go door knocking in the rural parts of Austin you WILL find someone to let you hunt. Especially if he's a Longhorn. Not me though, I married an Aggie... LOL. My wife's boss has 20 acres just south of Austin. She often complains about deer making her beagles bark at night. She beg me last year to just come take a deer. Not that it would have solved the problem but it was an "invite". Her being a veterinarian and non-hunter she won't do it her self.