Author Topic: Deer Blind...  (Read 1200 times)

Offline JWP58

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Deer Blind...
« on: September 21, 2010, 04:28:56 AM »
I'm buildling a deer blind (yes we hunt out of blinds in Texas) and was wondering if yall think 3x6 would be large enough. It will atleast be 6-7ft tall.

I would much rather it be 4x6, but i already have the base (picked a shipping pallet from work, i had to when i saw it was made out of 3/4plywood and grade A 2x4's...but its 3x6)

I've tested it with the chairs that will be in it, and it seems wide enough. BUT if anyone has first hand experience with that size...lets hear it.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Deer Blind...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:38:40 AM »
No.  Deer see really-really well usually.   ;D

Couldn't help but post that.   ;)

If you are satisfied that 3' x 6' is sufficient, by all means!  Which way would it be oriented [1] narrow and long or [2] narrow and wide (on which dimension is the shooting rail planned)?  Getting two persons in there would be no problem.  For two hunters and a camera man it is going to be real snug.

Keep all other wood and hardware outside of these interior dimensions and it should be suitable.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:47:05 AM »
Small spaces can become more confining after being there for a while, that’s why I would suggest nothing smaller than a 4x4, a foot will make a difference. Of course it also depends on how large you are, at 6’2’ and well over 200 a 3x4 wouldn’t fit me.

I laughed at my son, he is building a 4x8 and said eventually he will build a 8x8,  His justification: Big enough for two and provide enough room to sleep in if he wants to spend the night. 

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 04:10:20 AM »
i like them a  lil bigger  
i got a 7x7 and 7 tall  it is l8 ft up to the floor and with a travel trailer heater 6800 btu it is the cats meow
when it is snowing and blowing. yes i have stayed the night in it many times. i also have it vented so that scent is not an issue. i found a side burner on a bbq grill,now to get it hooked up so i can make coffee in the mornin.
 3ft is not much room for moving a gun in  and for a bow it might be too tight..
   rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 11:59:35 AM »
Building anything 3' will be a waste of time, especially if you ever have to face that direction.  Draw the finished inside demensions on your garage floor then put a chair inside it and sit in the chair.  You'll be cramped and probably bang your rifle around trying to get it out the window.

I'll give you two cents worth of advice for your shooting window.  The bottom surface upon which your rifle will rest, should be no higher than your belly button.  An inch lower is what I prefer.  Even lower if you will be using sand bags.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:13:34 PM »
No quibble about depth of the house.  More is better.  

I prefer my tree stand shooting rail to be at or about my breast level while seated.  Then at rest, I am the most concealed and just lean forward slightly to take the shot.  Probably not talking apples to apples between shooting houses and tree stands though.  I have no houses.

I can see how "building up" from a stable platform makes sense too.  Were you dimensioning while standing?  I was talking seated.

Offline JWP58

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 05:26:44 AM »
ya i've decided to go with a 4x4, it will be way cheaper to build...and easier..

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 05:22:19 PM »
The belly button height for a shooting window is measured from a standing height.  This is for a scoped rifle. 

Ladder steps should be no higher than just below the knee on the shin when measuring from one step to the next.  The older you get, the closer they need to be.

Wonder why I know.

Offline shot1

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »
 Don't build a shooting house or blind smaller than 4X4. Use a 2X8 for your rest under your window and staple down some close nap carpet on it. It really helps stop the noise when moving your rifle for a shot and is wide enough to rest the forearm on well. I like to place the height of my shooting windows to where I can rest my rifle on the shooting rest 2X8 at the height of where I can shoulder the rifle and just lean into the rifle and have it still sit on the 2X8.