Author Topic: 7mm-08 bulging neck base???  (Read 966 times)

Offline hector615

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I am amazed by my mine own ignorance?!?
7mm-08 bulging neck base???
« on: September 25, 2010, 11:38:36 AM »
Need some help on this one. I recently bought a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 to make a build gun. i reloaded some new brass (Winchester) with different loads and such trying to find the sweet spot as usual. But when i finish with the reaload and try to chamber some of the shells it causes the base of the shoulder to doughnot or bulge. It doesn't do every shell like this but they are tight. New factory ammo doesn't do this.

I can't figure this one out. I'm using regular RCBS dies to reload with.

Is it my dies shoving down on the shoulder making the rifle bulge the shoulder or is the rifle headspace just off enough to cause this.

Any thoughts??? :-\
People only care about perception. How are you perceived?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 7mm-08 bulging neck base???
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 12:08:28 PM »
Are you sure it's not happening when you seat the bullet? If the case is too long for your die setting that will happen as you seat the bullet. I guess it might also could happen when chambering a round if the case is way longer than the chamber.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline hector615

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 12:50:19 PM »
It could be.

One thing i didn't mention was, if i resive .308 brass in the 7mm-08 dies, i have no problems. I don't know if this is because the .308 brass is thicker in the shoulder area and neck, not letting it shove down or if the 7mm-08 brass is thinner in these areas.

It makes me wonder if the sizing ball is to big pushing down on the brass and the rifle finishes it off , making the doughnut effect.

I wonder if i could just get a bullet seating die and not resize once fired brass. Do you think this might work?

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 01:07:45 PM »
Could it be when your pulling the Decapper-expander back up its pulling on the neck. I had that problem when loading Lake City brass. I had to take the decapper out . I had to decap with a Lee Loader decapper.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »
I think GB has the answer.  When you set up your seating die, use your longest brass, with no bullet raise teh ram and screw the body of the die in until it touches the neck, this is the point that the seating die will start putting a roll crimp on the case.  Back the die out a quarter turn and lock it down.  Now adjust the bullet seating depth with the seating depth adjustment.  Here is an excellent (bad) example of what happens, this is a 17 Remington.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »
May not be the problem but thats why I trim all new brass to the same length.

Offline Mule

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 03:29:25 AM »
Two things come to mind.

Check your case length, you might need a trim.

In a light recoiling bolt gun such as yours, crimping is not necessary.  Back the seating die off and seat the bullets without a crimp.

Offline hector615

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 06:02:06 AM »
I took the seating ball out and just sized brass without it. Put some bullets in the resized brass and the rolling of the shoulder seems to go away.

So it may need trimming more than i thought or the expander ball is to big.

I tried raising the die up a not to push down on brass. It had same effect with the exapander ball in.

I'll try to post a picture of what it does.

Thanks, for all the comments!

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 04:25:59 AM »
I have had the same problem in all the cal that I reload. I trim all brass to the factory length every time. I think it has to do with the way I am seating the bullet and bullet not lining up with the neck. I use the chamfer tool on each case, make sure that the shell is all the way in the shell holder and seat bullet slow and I also have the seating screw and die set so the ram does not go all the way up and bump the die but if I hurry and seat the bullet fast then once in a while I get a shell that will not chamber.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.