Author Topic: RCBS RCII press  (Read 1648 times)

Offline marine

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
RCBS RCII press
« on: October 07, 2010, 04:33:22 AM »
  I traded a scope for an older rcbs kit didnt have the $330 for a new one.  It has sat in his garage for a few years from the look of the rust on the black metal parts.  All of the equipment functions so i want to clean it up and refinish if i can. But im not sure how to take it apart.  I want to keep the press and the case trimmer but i think i want a differant way to measure my powder.  Some of the digital dispensers are the way i want to go.  Has anyone out there refinished older reloading equipment before?  Whats a good way to go about doing this?

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: RCBS RCII press
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 05:31:22 AM »
Disassembly is easy, all the pins are visible and there are no hidden parts.   Take everything apart, clean off old oil with mineral spirits, brush off any rust with a soft wire wheel.  Put it back together and oil it with a non-gumming oil; Mobil 1 synthetic is good.

Good luck getting a dependable Chinese made digital dumpster.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline marine

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 05:59:30 AM »
  Thanks wncchester.  Is the rcbs model 505 good?  i have one in mint shape, i just thought maybe a dispenser was a neat tool.  I know nothing about reloading at this point and am just trying to get some equipment together to start with.  All i really need are dies and components.  This i something that ive wanted to do for years and i was just looking at some options.  

Offline wncchester

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 03:30:29 PM »
"Is the rcbs model 505 good?  i have one in mint shape,..."

There are no better powder scales than the 505 and it's brother the 1010 available.   Acually, RCBS' beam scales are made by the Ohaus company and they are perhaps the top scale maker in the country.  That's not to say the other makers are any less quality but Ohaus has long been the standard of comparison.  

Those who buy digital dumpsters, or just digital scales, and happen to get a good one love 'em...until they crap out.  Those who get one that craps out early have different opinions.   And what you actually get depends on pure luck, not brand.  Those things are much too costly for me to trust in luck to get a good one.  Last I heard the warrantee is only one or two years.   I'll keep using my absolutely reliable 45 year old Ohaus scale and Redding powder measure...and I'm a retired electronic instruments tech!

Question:  Are you a "U.S. Marine"?   If so, thanks.  I ask because I have a near new Marine grandson-in-law in Afgansitan now.

Offline marine

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 11:39:47 PM »
  Great i will just use what i have and thanks for saving me some cash.  I will start my cleaning on the press this next week ad hopefully it comes out well.  I was an infantryman, 0351 assaultman with 2nd battalion 6th marines.  I wish this war would be over so guys like your grandson wouldnt have to go over there.  I hope he comes back safe to you and your family.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 09:23:23 AM »
" I hope he comes back safe to you and your family."

Thank you.  I and wife pray for him and all those who serve, daily.  And we appreciate those who have served.  Been a long time since I took off my blue suit the last time but the sense of duty has never gone away.  No way can a total civilian ever understand.  Sadly, some of those who did serve never really understood either.  Ah well...

Good  luck.