Author Topic: Colt 1860 Old Army .44  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Colt 1860 Old Army .44
« on: May 22, 2010, 10:42:38 AM »
I've had a number of percussion pistols over the years. Even a couple flintlocks. The only one I've kept though is a Richland Arms, Calvary Model ( extra screws for shoulder stock ) Colt 1860 Old Army .44 in the British Grey finish. It's a beautiful pistol with what apear to be pecan grips with absolutely awesome grain. I've had this pistol for around 35 years and intend to hand it down to my son. it is the most well ballanced, smoothest operating replica I've ever had the pleasure to hold in my hand and, trust me, there have been many.

Offline StrawHat

• A Real Regular
Re: Colt 1860 Old Army .44
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 12:35:58 AM »
I've had a number of percussion pistols over the years. Even a couple flintlocks. The only one I've kept though is a Ricland Arms, Calvary Model ( extra screws for shoulder stock ) Colt 1860 Old Army .44 in the British Grey finish. It's a beautiful pistol with pecan grips with absolutely awesome grain. I've had this pistol for around 35 years and intend to hand it down to my son. it is the most well ballanced, smoothest operating replica I've ever had the pleasure to hold in my hand and, trust me, there have been many.

As much as I like my 1860s, I must admit the "favorite" has to be the 1861.  Similar styling but the smaller grips of the 1851 and 36 caliber.  Mine are fitted with full fluted cylinder and have iron backstraps and guards.  And cut for the shoulder stocks.  They don't get a lot of range time so they are about as nice as when I got them in the early 70s.

Something about the older models seems a bit nicer than what is available today.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 04:50:00 AM »
Here's mine;

Offline Gatofeo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 05:21:15 PM »
Niceeeeeeeeee ... I love my 1860, made by Pietta. Not as high quality as the Uberti, or a 2nd generation Colt, but a good, serviceable gun that is wonderfully accurate.
For point shooting, and overall ease for troubleshooting in the field, I prefer the Colt. Not often do I have a cap fragment fall down into the guts when I cock the hammer, because I pinch the caps into an elliptical shape. This practice tends to keep them on the nipples, even after firing.
My Remington .44 is more accurate, but not by much. The Colt design is much better balanced, more streamlined, lighter on the hip and has panache.
Love those lightly colored grips. Pecan? Never knew they made anything from that wood. Interesting.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 07:47:22 PM »
I'm not 100% sure but I was once told that they're pecan. Any ideas what else they might could be? I'll try to get better pics soon as I can. In the mean time here's a couple more pics of it. I've yet to see stock grips on any replica that that even comes close to as nice as these. They certainly look nice with the revolver's British Grey finish. The pics don't do them justice though nor does the engraving on the revolver show up well in them. Even the the trigger guard and backstrap is engraved.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 08:33:12 PM »
Ok, here's better pics of the grips. Pics still don't do them justice. you have to actually see them to see the warmth of the color and depth of the grain. The flash washed a lot of the color out in the pics.

Offline El Gringo

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 10:35:50 AM »
I too love my 1860.  Had it out yesterday after a few months in ' limbo' .
I can get about 5 go'rounds ( 30 shots) then she starts to bind up. I'll spray some Ballistol into the works to get things free and loosened up again.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:37:24 AM »
Thats a good looking revolver Spirithawk! I have been wanting to get an "engraved" revolver for some time. Your photos got the bug going again! LOL! So far I shoot a .44 remmie, and a colts 1851 and 1862, both in .36. (All by Pietta)

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 05:25:00 AM »
Nice rig. I have a real, original 1860 Colt which I don't shoot. I am not much for owning guns I can't take out and shoot but this is one of three. I don't want to take a chance on having something break and destroy it's originality.

I do shoot a Pietta made repo. Pietta's quality seems pretty good now although the cylinder was bored undersized. I took care of that problem and it's a good shooter. Nothing fells better in my hand than the 1860. It just fits and balances like nothing else. Some come close but just don't have that little something that the 1860 does.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 05:34:39 PM »
Thanks guys. I don't think there was ever a handgun made that fills the hand like an 1860. The ballance is beautiful and they point like your finger.  :)