Author Topic: Brooks-USA Cannons  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Brooks-USA Cannons
« on: October 05, 2010, 04:58:28 AM »
I have e-mailed Brooks on several occations but get an error message.  What I wnt to know is the powder charge and type of ammo the 50 and 69 cal. cannons shoot.

Thank you

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Brooks-USA Cannons
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 05:03:09 AM »
For the 50 Cal use something around 40-45 grains.  

For any of the little cannons in the small calibers just look in any blackpowder loading manual for loads of equivalant calibers, preferably pistol loads.  Reduce the load  substantially and work up.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »
John,  It has been crazy here and we are a bit behind in a few emails and barrel deliveries, but, this am, I the following email to you. My system indicated that it was sent/received. We could communicate thru PM here, but it doesen't show up on my strawberry.

Subject:Re: Cannon Purchase
Date:10/05/2010 08:18 AM
To:xxxxxx@yahoo.com
Cc:
Bcc:
Attachments:
Add Travel Events to CalendarUpdate eFax Username/PIN in my preferences
 The system suspects that this message is junk mail. Block sender This is not junk
John,

Powder charge: The rule of thumb is 1 grain/caliber ie 50 grains/on the 50 cal barrel. On both of the mentioned barrels, we recommend fg Goex black powder. ffg could also be used in the 50 cal. It is a little quicker. We don't recomment Pyrodex. It is also recommended that when one starts firing black powder, they start with low quantity charges while they get used to firing and learning "the art of powder packing.

Projectiles: There are a number of basics to keep in mind. There is no end to what can be safely fired. We have made bores to accommodate AA, C and D cell batteries. It should be noted that the heavier the projectile, the less powder is required; re heavier creates more pressure, bang, recoil ect. determining the bore diameter and/or the diameter of the projectile requires using this formula, bore dia. divided by 40 then multiplied by 39 thus a bore of .500 divided 40 = .0123 X 39 = .4875 as the desired diameter to provide proper windage (clearance).

I don't have projectile suppliers on file but can dig into it (a day or 2) if you can define a little more re. lead or steel, for example. I think that there have been a few new mfgr's that have good product and prices. I can build your bore to more exactly fit a specific ball. (by reversing the formula)

Thanks for your interest,
Michael

P.S. Where did you hear of us?

-----Original Message-----
Date: 10/05/2010 06:45 AM
To: jsb@brooks-USA.com, UNEXPECTED_DATA_AFTER_ADDRESS@.SYNTAX-ERROR
Subject: Re: Cannon Purchase

I am interested in purchasing 4 of your 50 or 69 cal cannons. Before placing an order would you provide the following information:

Powder charge
Type of projectile

Thank you

xxx

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:14:19 PM »
I was wondering what was going on there, Michael....I sent you a couple of e-mails regarding your Brass Wheels, both small and large........thanks, BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!