Author Topic: Ejector Issues.  (Read 348 times)

Offline digs68

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Ejector Issues.
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:06:13 PM »
Hello all,
Being somewhat of a Handi novice, I've got a ton to learn about them and how to tweak or repair them. Yesterday, a friend of mine & I were shooting our Handis and he kept having issues with his ejector. He asked me if I had the same problems and I don't.
He has an older model .243 heavy barrel that actually kicks the shell out when you break it open, while mine just pushes it out for removal with your fingers.
Here's the issue; When putting the cartridge in the chamber of his .243, he has to be very careful not to slide it past the ejector rim or the ejector will close behind the shell, causing the shell to become jammed in the chamber.
When I looked closely at the ejector, I could see that, when the gun was broken open fully, the ejector would lower which allowed the cartridge to slip right past it. If you closed the barrel slightly before inserting the shell, the ejector would be in it's proper position, allowing the rim of the cartridge to connect with the lip of the ejector.
I noticed a lot of up and down play in the ejector, and was wondering if there was a fix or an upgrade for this problem.
Thanks in advance!
Chris

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Ejector Issues.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:13:42 PM »
The ejector should have a little bevel on the side toward the chamber so that it will jump the rear of the round and snap into the ejector groove.  The ejector is very hard, so you will not be able to file any off if it needs some shaping to make it work properly.  You would have to take it out and grind a tiny more bevel to it.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline digs68

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 02:40:17 PM »
It appears to me that the ejector drops way below where it should, rather than not rising to it's proper place. Is there a way to shim it to keep it from dropping below the breech line, or do you think a new ejector would solve the issue.
On a further note, his brother bought one the same time he did, and he also has the same problem. Is this common with the older Handi models, and has there been a fix for it.
Chris

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 03:24:17 PM »
H&R's fix was to dump the ejectors and only uses extractors on all centerfire rifles, that started in 2004, by the 2007 model year all were extractors. I think you'll find the ejector components need to be cleaned or the lift button spring needs to be replaced if it has the correct ejector in it, see the FAQs for more info, Brownell's sells the parts or you can buy a spring that will work at Ace or True Value.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain