Author Topic: Handi Rifle Hammer Replacement  (Read 1610 times)

Offline alacharger

• Trade Count: (5)
Handi Rifle Hammer Replacement
« on: December 06, 2010, 03:04:24 AM »
I have a Handi Rifle in .44 Magnum. A previous owner shortened the hammer spur because he wanted a low mount scope on the gun.  The nub of a hammer left is extremely uncomfortable to cock.

I'm fairly proficient mechanically.  Brownells has replacement hammers.  How much of a pain is it to install a new hammer in these guns?

Approach every man with a smile on your face and homicide in your heart. 

D.A. "Jelly" Bryce

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Re: Handi Rifle Hammer Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 03:32:27 AM »
I have not done it but I bet it is listed in the FAQ.  MANY here have ripped in and done trigger jobs as well it is all listed in the FAQ you just may have to search. Good luck, thejanitor

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 04:12:46 AM »
There is basic assembly and disassembly listed in the faq's somewhere.  It is probably in the trigger job section.  It isn't extremely difficult but it does take some practice and efficient use of slave pins.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 04:39:48 AM »
It isnt difficult, but......as Harry said, "a man's got to know his limitations". If you really arent that good on mechanical things, as only you will know from past experience, well........
So, it may be fine or not; your call.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:23:58 PM »
 It is a challange the first time, but not impossible. Slave pins are a major plus. What you may consider is a hammer extension. That way if you ever decide to scope it, you will be half way there ;)

Lonny

Offline digs68

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 12:29:07 AM »
I've even seen where at least one Handi owner on here drilled a hole through the side of the hammer and added a small bolt as an extension. Your best bet (i would imagine) is to see if a factory or aftermarket extension would fit. A lot easier than trying to remember how all the pieces go together.
Or you could send the action to one of the more proficient members on here. They might put a new hammer on for you for a small fee.

Offline alacharger

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 01:39:01 AM »
Thanks for the comments.  I'm going to to a bit more research before I decide whether to try or just live with the shortened hammer.  It's a .44 magnum, so I don't see a need for a low mount scope...IMO, a see through mount would do just as well.  I may look and see if there is enough metal left on the hammer spur to reconfigure it instead. 

All this came about because of shooting about 40 rounds in one afternoon, and ending up with a thumb that was sore enough to bother me two days later. 
Approach every man with a smile on your face and homicide in your heart. 

D.A. "Jelly" Bryce

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 01:48:18 AM »
It's not to difficult to replace a hammer but the best suggestion for someone who has not done one yet has already been made. Before you do anything else put a (factory style) hammer extention (hammer spur) on it and try it. They work very well and assist in easy and safe cocking of the hammer. I say safe because with the added grip the hammer does not slip out of a cold or damp thumb. Try it, you will like it, AND it is an easy and proper fix to your problem. I am sure the previous owner not only shortened the hammer to clear the scope but also had a "hammer spur" on it but it has been removed. All new Handi rifles come with a hammer spur....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 03:27:58 AM »
FWIW, 'see through mounts' for me have always been too high; I have to get my cheek up off the buttstock comb to see through them and they just look awkward.
On the H&R, once you get the scope rail mounted you cant see the sights anyway, they arent high enough. 
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 05:20:00 AM »
Or you could send the action to one of the more proficient members on here. They might put a new hammer on for you for a small fee.

I think the ATF would frown on that unless the member doing the work has a FFL.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 02:51:06 PM »
Just do what MSP said and get a factory extension, cheap and the reason they make them. Problem solved.

-Aaron

Offline digs68

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 01:44:50 AM »

I think the ATF would frown on that unless the member doing the work has a FFL.

Tim

I was assuming that much!!