Author Topic: Acurate #5  (Read 602 times)

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Acurate #5
« on: October 11, 2010, 07:36:13 PM »
This stuff is terrible.Its very fine and it sticks to everything. Does anyone have a suggestion on a better alternative. I got it to use in 45acp and 32acp as it was listed for both. I had not used it yet,but I got a SBH so I tried reloading for it using 13 grains under a 240gr jacketed HP and it was terrible. It was so fine it even leaked from the powder measure and it just sticks to everything,even the aluminum tray on the scale.

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Re: Acurate #5
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 07:42:50 PM »
sounds like a you have a static problem.  Take a used dryer sheet and rub it on your equipment, should take care of that problem.  Not sure about the leaking issue, I use a redding powder measure and it locks up like a vault. 

Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »
sounds like a you have a static problem.  Take a used dryer sheet and rub it on your equipment, should take care of that problem.  Not sure about the leaking issue, I use a redding powder measure and it locks up like a vault.  

Matt

My powder measure is really cheap. Its the LEE perfect powder measure,which is far from perfect. I thought about static and even thought of trying one of the little static guns we have at work. The thing is,my options are limited as many things that dissipate static can create sparks such as the static gun. It would be hilariously dangerous. I can just see it,pull the trigger a few times the WHOOOF the 13 grains of powder ignite,showering sparks into the main bottle and the powder measure then WHOOF again. Probably wouldn't set the room on fire as there's no cloth or papers in there,just char everything end send me to the ER. Im hoping there is something that will work similarly that is not as fine and difficult to work with,but Im worried that the fineness might be exactly what they need to do to get the burn rates for that kind of powder. Im not so worried about performance in these loads. For that Ill use a H110. Ive never used it but from what Ive read,whatever its like,its the thing to use so Ill have to deal with it.

I'm going to call Lee tomorrow,maybe I just got a bad one, but I suspect that I'm just going to have to buy a higher quality powder measure. It worked fine with reloader 15,presumably becuase it was a much coarser powder but leaks the finer stuff. You say you use a Redding and that you like it,so Ill put that on the list of ones to check out. Which model are you using? I bought the cheapest Lee stuff I could get for exactly this reason. If I had bought expensive stuff and it didn't fit my needs or work well,Id already have a lot of money in it. This way,I have no problem throwing that measure out and getting a good one becuase I have maybe 10 or 15 bucks into it. Personally,I'm totally against the idea of "Buy top notch stuff right off so you dont end up having to replace it. I say buy the cheapest crap right off if the price a vastly lower then you can upgrade without worrying once you have some experience to know what you need. I do have to at least say,the measure leaked,but it still threw 100% reliable charges.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:23:14 PM »
I've measured Accurate #5 with an RCBS powder measure with no problem and I've never had a static problem with any powder.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:44:44 PM »
I've measured Accurate #5 with an RCBS powder measure with no problem and I've never had a static problem with any powder.

I took a look and it looks like Hornady, RCBS,Lyman and Redding all make very similar powder measures for around 80-120 dollars (with Redding being the most expensive). I do wonder how the brands compare. A more careful reading of the Lee Perfect Powder Measure manual tells me that "Some" minor powder leakage may occur with finer powders but they say it wont cause a problem. Of course "some" is up for interpretation,I was leaking on the order of a half,maybe a full grain of powder with each charge. I took it apart to make sure it was ok,then put it back together and tightened it up and it was better,but slowly got worse and after 40 or so cases was back to how it was before. Its defiantly getting replaced.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 01:25:09 AM »
According to the burn rate chart at hiwaay.net, Unique is pretty close to AA#5, as is Universal Clays.  My Hornady book also show loads with Bullseye and 231 for both, amongst others.  I know Bullseye is a flake powder but I'm not sure about the others.  Perhaps a flake will work better in your powder thrower, it would certainly be cheaper to buy a pound of powder than to buy a powder thrower. 
GH1 :) 
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline JRiddle

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 04:33:03 AM »
I use a Lee too.  The only leakage I've ever experienced was with Win296, which is very fine.  I can't say how that compared to #5, as I've never used it.  Also the leakage I have experienced is very, very small,,,every charge is 100% accurate and consistent.  I also use Win748, IMR3031, Varget, Unique, 2400, and RL15 in this measure and none of them leak.  That being said, I'm with GH1,,,I'd just find a coarser powder that works.  Unless you're looking for a reason to tell the wife why you need a new powder measure ;D   ;)

Also I've never had any static problems, but that's what it sounds like you have.  The dryer sheet sounds like a good idea.  Good luck
JR
"Give me Liberty...or I'll get up, and get it myself."

Offline gomerdog

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
As mentioned, Unique performs similarly to #5 and has larger kernels IIRC. It's great powder for the calibers you mentioned.
"Endeavor to persevere..." Chief Dan George from The Outlaw Josie Wales

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 11:29:13 AM »
mrussel,

I use the Lee powder measurer from time to time.  I also have a Uniflow on the reloading bench…

The Lee will leak and get difficult to throw charges with…

I have mostly solved this problem by cleaning the drum thoroughly and then applying a layer of graphite.  This allows me to tighten the drum in place very tight and still be able to work the lever to rotate it…

Ball powders measure much more accurately as you probably all ready know.  Flake powders can meter well, but will fluctuate some.  Guess it depends how much accuracy you want…

Good-luck…BCB

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 04:41:29 PM »
I use a Lee too.  The only leakage I've ever experienced was with Win296, which is very fine.  I can't say how that compared to #5, as I've never used it.  Also the leakage I have experienced is very, very small,,,every charge is 100% accurate and consistent.  I also use Win748, IMR3031, Varget, Unique, 2400, and RL15 in this measure and none of them leak.  That being said, I'm with GH1,,,I'd just find a coarser powder that works.  Unless you're looking for a reason to tell the wife why you need a new powder measure ;D   ;)

Also I've never had any static problems, but that's what it sounds like you have.  The dryer sheet sounds like a good idea.  Good luck
JR
I was going to get unique but they were out so I got the Acurate. I think for right now Ill use a courser powder as I have no real need of the finer ones,but this thing is pretty cheap looking so if and when it wears out Ill get something better. A hundred dollars is not that bad for one when the time comes. Ill give the graphite a try and if that does not work,Ill call Lee. It seems to leak alot more than I would think would be classed as a little,so maybe I just got a bad one.

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 01:47:26 AM »
mrussel,

Yep, they can be a headache...

As I mentioned, I have one on my bench and also a Uniflow...

I use the Lee for stick and flake powders mostly...

The part about the Lee powder measurer is the fact that the container that holds the powder can be removed and the remaining powder can be dumped into its it's canister.  That is real convenient...

Good-luck...BCB