Author Topic: Walther PPS 40SW...look interesting...  (Read 1043 times)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Walther PPS 40SW...look interesting...
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:19:33 PM »
opinions??
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Walther PPS 40SW...look interesting...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 07:27:20 PM »
I think it would carry IWB like a dream. I tried to get the wife interested in one but she wasn't feeling it. Every time I see one it makes me think harder, every time I pick one up I remember why I don't own one. It just doesn't feel good enough to buy without a long test drive.

I have some pretty big mitts, my P239 SIG is plenty short in the grip and I'm not inclined to get another short gripped gun without good reason. I am not sure the Walther would do anything that much better to justify the money right now. A HK 2000sk however, mmm.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 03:50:25 AM »
Kinda thought that Quiv...I have a SW3913 in 9mm that I bought in the early 90s...just can't seem to justify another compact auto.....love to hear from anyone who owns one.

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Pinkerton

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 04:13:09 AM »
I've handled one, but it didn't feel comfortable. The P380 felt great but is big enough for 9mm and I just never cared for the paddle mag release.

Offline abigdiesel

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 03:31:26 PM »
Saw one at the gun show today, feels o.k.  Like how slim it is, don't like the mag size: 6, 7 or 8 round.  Am interested to hear if anyone out there has one and how they like it though.  I think I would rather have a compact glock if I were going to carry auto again.  The pps is .91" wide slide and the glock is 1.18, but it has double stack mag.  Anybody own one yet?
"The American Revolution was a beginning, not a consummation."  ~Woodrow Wilson

NRA and VHA member

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:30:17 AM »
I wonder if James would carry it---seems like his Martini except shaken, not stirred.
It is a slim Glock---better ergonomics that the Glock, IMO, but still---if it walks like a duck, anywho.
Nothing can replace the PPK in .380, for me.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline mlk3454

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 04:34:37 PM »
A buddy of mine just got into CC and purchased the PPS in .40 and I have had the opportunity to put 50+ rounds through it as well.

He doesn't know anything in regards to comparison in carry but loves how his feels in a Crossbreed supertuck IWB. It took him a little bit to get used to the snap of the .40 in a lightweight gun. He had a heavy .357 revolver that he traded in for this.

What I thought was that it was a little snappy but not uncontrollable and wasn't hard to get back on sight. I dont like the mag release being part of the trigger guard as all my other handguns have the usual mag release as part of the grip. With practice that would become second nature though. I also didn't like the shape of the mags with the grip extension as it was awkward to handle when trying to do a quick reload. Again, with practice that would be much easier to do. My buddy has had flawless function with ball and jacketed HP bullets. I am waiting on some cast from Dardas to load up for him to try as it will be much cheaper to shoot. He did purchase 2 Walther mags from midwayusa.com both as 7 round and one works perfectly and the other fails to load the last round in the mag 7/10 times. The 2 factory 6 round mags function perfectly.

All that said, it was a nice slim gun with an option to change the backstrap for a better fit. I wouldn't mind carrying it as size was great and its small profile would be easy to conceal. The snappiness of it isn't anything new if you have shot a .40 before. The differences in mag release and odd shaped magazines would take a little getting used to but if it is going to be your primary carry the time you put into it will get you used to it in no time. Overall I think it is a nice gun and will carry well.
~Matt

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 06:16:56 AM »
Thanks ML!

I'm looking for a range where I can rent one to try out...I appreciate the info.

Offline mlk3454

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 02:51:43 PM »
No problem. I shoot with him about once a week so if you have any specific questions let me know and I will do my best to answer.
~Matt

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 02:31:09 AM »
Doug, just thinking out loud or has someone designed this, already? I can remember the little stainless steel Detonics 9mm from years ago, thing kicked like a .44 magnum.
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 04:32:16 AM »
Hi Steve....I also remember the the little detonics 9...never saw one though.  I actually have a SW3914 that I've owned for maybe 20yrs and really can't find any reason to replace it.  I remember thinking that it was a factory response to the ASP...yet another gun that I wish I had built at the time.

Offline DC

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 01:48:08 PM »
I never saw nor fired the Detonics 9mm but I did have the chance to fire the small Detonics 45ACP.  What a cool pistol that was.  At that time, maybe 20 years ago, it was by far the smallest large caliber auto on the market.  It pointed wonderfully and was really accurate.  It let you know you pulled the trigger though.  :D
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(