Author Topic: Foldable stock for the AK-47, do they all have a wobble?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Foldable stock for the AK-47, do they all have a wobble?
« on: September 26, 2010, 11:24:29 AM »
I have owned 2 AK's in the past, they had the fixed wooden/plastic stock, rock solid.  I held 2 of the Romanian AK's with the folding stock yesterday and boy these things have a 2 stage up and down wobble, seems to me that the recoil of the rifle would cause it to be hard to keep your eyes on the sight for a follow up shot.  I could also feel the cold steel on my face, that must have been a challenge when you have to aim the gun when it is 40 degrees below zero and not have it adhere to your chops?!  ;D

I had read that the foldable stock was not real stable years ago, I wonder if this is what the writer was talking about.  If you have one, is there a way to make them more solid without gluing it in the extended position?  Or is this another example of Soviet design being weird? 

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Foldable stock for the AK-47, do they all have a wobble?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »
Chris

Both my AK's have fixed stocks, but back in the 80's I owned a mini 14 with a Butler Creek folding stock that was rock solid and well designed.  At the time, I believe they offered them for AK pattern rifles as well.  Might want to see if they still make them, or look for a used one.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline 40plus

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 06:14:35 AM »
Check out ACE Stocks and K-Var.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 07:05:09 AM »
If you are talking about the fold under stock design like on the German MP40,
Then YES, they all wobble, most up. Creating a v as the round breaks.
They look cool but shoot like crud.  Esecally quickly.
Most side folds Lock up pretty tight.
But unless you are jumping out of a plane door or trying to get out of an APC you really do not need a folding stock.
Want is another thing.