Author Topic: Anybody make a 7mm-08 shorty rifle?  (Read 966 times)

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Anybody make a 7mm-08 shorty rifle?
« on: October 30, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »
As many of you know we just got back from MT on a antlerless whitetail hunt, my daughter carried her .270 bolt and again struggled holding up the heavy gun for an off hand shot. (So she passed on that shot and took a deer off a sandbag rest later) Here is my thought, I have the 7mm08 Handi that Shoots 1.25- 1.5 inch groups at best. Has anyone shortened one to 16.5? If so what kind of performance do you get? She would shoot 200 ish yds max and we would practice to get the distance figured out anyway. I would change the stock to all synthetic and see how light we could get it. Recoil from the 7-08 wouldn't be an issue even lightened up. I will make sure it has the best recoil pad available (within budget). We like to have the option for long shots but I wonder if shortening the barrel too much will ruin the chance for any good performance at 200 or so yds.... 
So if you shortened one and don't want to admit it in public please PM me otherwise let us know here how it works for you. I suppose .308 and .243 owners could reply as well since the case capacity is the same...
So all you shorty lovers c'mon, here is your chance to sway my vote.  :D
thejanitor

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Anybody make a 7mm-08 shorty rifle?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:27:51 PM »
 Why not just get onna those fancy shootin sticks, ya know the ones that collapse and weight all of a 1/2 pound an fit in yer pocket? An practice with that.
 Heck a nice straight cedar branch with a fork and the bark peeled can even double as a walking stick. Dustin did that for a full year with his .50 BP ML.

That's a nice way of sayin I ain't a proponant of choppin barrels, esp for here in Mn and west,,
 I think alot of what's going on nowadays about short barrels, is folks trying to"militerize" sporting guns,,40 years ago it was "sporterizing" military guns,,
found elsewhere

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 04:32:45 PM »
I know an 18" 788 has a ton of muzzle blast.

Offline topper88

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »
I just got done re-reading Jack O'Conner chapter on hunting rifles.  He liked shorter barrels, 22" cut from 26".  He said the muzzle blast and flame from an 18" barrel were not worth the weight loss. 

Above posts are right on.  Buy or make a shooting stick.  Keep them on the receiver just in front of the trigger guard of the 7-08.  Jack's wife shot everything with a 7x57 which is balistically the same as your 7-08.  I would say to use what you have the way it is, just add some accroutruments. 

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 04:48:22 PM »
If someone struggles to hold up a 7 or 8 pound gun they need to get a new hobby. Maybe stick to video game hunting or something.

Spanky

Offline gatersb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 05:56:06 PM »
wow kinda harsh there i'm no expert but im sure the deer will not be able to tell if the bullet arrives a few hundred fps slower when its in the right spot. 

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 06:07:37 PM »
And the silly comment of the day goes to .....................Drum roll please.

If someone struggles to hold up a 7 or 8 pound gun they need to get a new hobby. Maybe stick to video game hunting or something.

Browning makes some 6 lb Micros in 7MM-08
Remington use to offer a Model Seven 7mm-08 with a 18.5 Barrel youth rifle as well I believe.
similar to http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=198109526

I believe a mod seven synthetic youth weighs is around 6 1/4 lbs  with a 20" barrel
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline gatersb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 06:28:05 PM »
hey never mind me just a rambling old man didnt mean to tick anyone off  ;D

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 06:46:47 PM »

I think it's a great thing that you are making such an effort to have your daughter hunting with you. I only wish that mine will someday....what a day of pride that will be. :'(

I would suggest trading that rifle for a 30-30 Handi. You would still have plenty of gun and the barrels seem to be of slighter contour. PM me and would could talk about it more.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »

Spanky
Yeah I suppose I should never invite her out of the house to do anything un-lady like (not)... but she wanted to shoot her first MT deer with the gun that was Grandpas. And those virtual backstraps are mighty tasty I am sure once you get past the GAMEE flavor. And I see Spankys point but when it comes to the kids I will find a way to keep them out there.

We had a adjustable shooting stick but the problem with the non-automatic ones is you have to adjust if you change positions, which she did when the deer showed up walking along the hill instead of coming over it and all she could see was spine neck head.... When she stood up the stick was not adjusted for the taller shot and she couldn't hold steady.  I was just trying to figure a way to keep my kid hunting with me.
A guy out in MT had a T/C 7/30 waters in a 16ish inch barrel and showed it to me, I figured I could make almost the same thing in a Handi version. I didn't really care if it lost some velocity, but I guess I am barking up the wrong tree. I don't want her to be cocky and a smart butt about being a crack shot or anything but having a gun she can handle well and have confidence with is worth a lot.
Maybe a seven or something like that would be a good investment.
Thanks for the replies.  thejanitor

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 07:45:51 PM »
Do any of you know the wt. of a synthetic set compaired to a pw stock set? Maybe I can save some wt. that way and go with a simpler scope that is lighter with less bell and maybe less maginfication not that these make a huge difference but maybe it would lighten it up enough. Just throwing it out there. I know the older weaver 4 and 6x scopes are small and light, you just get shorted on your A.M. and P.M. dimmer shots.
I have a synthetic forend, just would need a stock. but if the wt. is the same I don't need to bother.

Dinny- thanks but this barrel is modified in that it has a groove cut for ease in removing stuck cases ( in the beginning it was a problem, now only once in a rare while. but no waiting to get back to the truck to unstick anymore, when it does happen it's quick and E-Z to pop out). So I will probably be keeping it forever.
Thanks,  thejanitor

Offline Shu

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 03:36:25 AM »
 Suggesting not taking the grandaughter hunting and she should stick to a video game is the wrong the thing. Very bad idea.

A shorty 7-08 will have some muzzle blast but people shoot them out of 14" contender handguns and still kill deer. So I think you would be good to go to set her up with a 16.5" handi rifle. The 30-30 suggestion is a great idea.

Any kid that wants to go hunting should be encouraged. Build her a custom handi rifle and you got a great hunting partner for life.

Video game my a$$.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 04:10:02 AM »
Cut the barrel back , install a syn stock if necessary, Do anything it takes to keep the girl Hunting! Your 7-08 will have a bit of muzzle blast but it is not bad, I have a model 7 with the short bbl and it is a pleasure to shoot.
Happy Trails
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Hank in Indiana

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 04:49:14 AM »
Don't let one stupid comment change your focus. Never discourage a child from hunting or shooting sports. Find a temporary fix. In a year or two she will be grown up and the problem solved.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 05:27:40 AM »
Do any of you know the wt. of a synthetic set compaired to a pw stock set?

Once again....READ THE FAQS!!  ::) That info has been in there for years.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline kawie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 06:25:08 AM »
i think spanky made a narrow minded comment,i dont think he thought before he typed.(insert foot)
but i say like the rest,do what ever you have to,to keep her hunting with you.my 11yr had the same promblem.we carried walking-shooting sticks but there hard to adjust for the right moment like you said.i bought my son the 30-30 handi an think its a great caliber,cheap to shoot even better if you reload.if you reload you can stoke it 125-130 gr bullets an have a 250 yrd killing machine.muzzle blast is going to be youre worst promblem going shorter.to bad you couldnt come up with some device that would reduce muzzle blast in half (like a muffler for a car does) with out being considered a silencer.in this world of everything has to be safe an sound laws it would seem people would like the idea of a way to quiet a gun down some.(not silent but like a 50% reduction).
good luck
Kawie

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
I think you guys missed my point. I take my nephew hunting all the time and I think all kids should get out into the woods and hunt. My point is... if a kid can't hold their gun up long enough to make a shot maybe they ain't ready to hunt yet. That's just common sense.
Just because a kid is old enough to hunt doesn't always mean they're ready to hunt. ;)

Spanky

Offline Shu

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 08:26:30 AM »
 Spanky,
 I understand your point, I am gonna have to disagree with you though.
My pops got me my first rifle when I was 6. It was a 22 lr he cut down to fit me. My first hunting rifle was given to me at 10, it was a cut down 7 X 57 mauser to fit me. At 16 I got a full size rifle. I am so grateful he cut them down. That's what got me hooked on hunting and shooting. I can remember off the shelf 22lrs being pretty big and heavy back then. Fortunately the Handi's are inexpensive to modify for the smaller statured shooters. That too is just common sense...

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 08:37:56 AM »
OK then... back to the question.
I don't think there would be a noticeable difference in downrange performance if you cut down your 7-08.
I'm not sure how much lighter the gun would be by cutting it down but it might balance better and be easier for her to shoot.
 :) :)

Spanky

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 09:14:57 AM »
After reading all the replies, and yes every one did make valid points so I did get the info I was asking for.
I think I will be trying to lighten the rifle as a 22 inch 7-08, but with a lighter less bells and whistles scope, and a synthetic stock.  (checked FAQ thanks again Tim) And at the same time will watch for an affordable  :o Remington seven, in .260 or 7-08 this would be the best of both worlds, light and a distance shooter.
This would give her a rifle she is comfortable with and also a dependable round she could shoot out to 250+ yds if she is able to practice and hold it well enough. 
Thanks to all for answering my question.

thejanitor

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 09:33:58 AM »
You might look for a 243 Superlight too. With careful loading they can be pretty accurate and they shoot flat with little recoil.
Even with a good scope they're still light and balanced.
They show up in the classifieds from time to time and they're usually priced right.

Spanky

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 10:17:04 AM »
Folks always talk about noise and muzzel blast with a shorter barrel but to my thinking it is nothing compared to us that hunt with pistols get. If you want real noise and muzzel blast shoot my Ruger Alaskan in 454. A 16" barrel is a non issue to me in any rifle and probably most shooters as trapper model rifles have always been hot sellers.

Cut the barrel down and use a lighter fixed power scope but the plastic stock may make it to light recoil wise

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 10:42:17 AM »
Yeah the recoil right now is not an issue, but I suppose if I can shave off 1.5 lbs it could turn the tables enough to get her flinching. Will just have to see what happens. I have seen .243 barrels go through the classifieds, but I had one of them once (bolt gun) and it really didn't turn my crank, but I suppose it could do exactly what she needs it to do. And buying another barrel and reciever may be something...
I know shot placement is big with any caliber and she is a good shot, if we have a rest of sorts. And she will not take a shot if it isn't on and steady. (passed a beautiful 8- 10 pt at about 175 yds four years ago, because she was wiggling)
thejanitor

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 11:42:53 AM »
Sounds like she has a lot of respect for the game and clean kill

Offline hillbill

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 12:52:20 PM »
7mm08? tried a model 7?tried managed recoil loads? or reloads? a model 7 is a quality firearm with good resale, although id never sell mine.if yur girl couldnt hold it up there will be no better gun.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 01:11:29 PM »
Sounds like you are planning on cutting down. But, Ruger makes a very nice compact rifle. I have seen it in the International version as well as wood/bright blue and a laminate/synthetic. I see .308 and 7mm-08 most commonly but I think .243 is also available. That rascal looks like it was designed for what you describe, some even have the scout type rail for scope attachment.

I have come close to getting one for my daughter a couple times. She is still too young to take out west (would miss a week and a half of school) on our elk hunt. Our normal deer haunts are slug gun only, so I have put this off.

She will never out grow this rifle, and I will some day bring one home for her. Top it with a 2X7x33 scope for a nice balanced rig and she will be set for about any critter walking. I like the 7mm08 myself and would urge you to check into this. I have read that .308 gains little after 16" and would think the 7mm-08 would be similar
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Shu

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 02:09:34 PM »
Handi rifle 30-30 or 30-30 imroved cut to 16-18 inches with synthetic fore end. Shoot 130 grain bullets and a fixed 4 X scope. Wood butstock and a nice recoil pad. The wood butstock will put a little weight on the aft end, easy for her to hold onto. It's foreward end weight she has trouble with, from the original post. As she grows up you match the stocks with some laminate or something fancy.

This young hunter already sounds like she's got a good partner, passing up some shots and taking the one she knows she can make. Lucky Grandfather to have a great partner!!!

Offline scootrd

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 02:47:12 PM »
Perhaps this link may be Of benefit  - another dad who was going through the same for his daughter.

http://www.buckdeer.com/youth_rifle.htm

"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 07:38:56 PM »
Thanks guys, that link is a good one, The only rifle she has ever used is the Model 70 .270 that was my dads. She is a tiny gal. 5' and 110 lbs 19 yrs old. She is done growing so there will be no adding a stock later. If it fits her now she will be set for life. Just want to make it easier for her to be comfortable hunting deer. I am going to watch the classified for some simple changes I can make before next season and then maybe before the next couple years find her the gun she can enjoy, like a seven. She does want to have a second shot right away.... She isn't a handi holic like her dad.
Thanks thejanitor