Author Topic: Help with barrel stoppage  (Read 883 times)

Offline ronbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Help with barrel stoppage
« on: October 14, 2010, 04:11:27 AM »
While running a brass brush down my T/C Black Mountain sidelock, the brush broke off all the way in the bottom of my barrel. The sleeve over the stem of the brush came off. The stem sleeve is still screwed into my rod and I can maneuver over the brush stem but of course it just pulls off. The only thing I can think to do is to put a dab Of JB Weld in the sleeve, position the sleeve over the stem and allow it to dry and then try to pull out the brush. I'm thinking though that if some of the weld drips in the barrel I could have a ruined barrel. Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
Re: Help with barrel stoppage
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 04:23:02 AM »
I would try one of those curly q attachments ment to grab a patch first.

;D  Al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 04:28:46 AM »
I would try one of those curly q attachments ment to grab a patch first.

;D  Al

The brush is for some reason jammed too tight so I think the worm wire would just bend.

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 04:31:57 AM »
The simple fix is to go to the hardware store and get a 36" length of thin wall brass or aluminum tubing that just fits in the bore.  Push it down over the brush with a twisting motion so that it encases the brush, then pull it out.  

If they don't have a long tube of the proper diameter, they will probably have some of those twelve-inch lengths.  You can mount one of those on the end of a wood dowel and do the same thing.

Either way will work like a charm.
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 06:22:59 AM »
That sounds semi-sane! In future you can avoid that problem by giving your rod a twist clockwise before attempting or pull the brush out. That twist will allow the bristles to reverse much more easily.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 03:21:51 AM »
And then ya gotta figure out what happened in the first place...While your brush may have been oversize for the bore, my first thought was that it was hung up on the infamous crud ring.

You can feel this "ring" as a bump even with jag n patch both going down and coming back up. Sometimes even the patch can be very difficult to get back out with the rod bottomed out.

I use hot soapy in a bucket and a shotgun swab on the rod to start the cleaning. Take that nipple out first and then you can really get a "Siphon" action going both ways. This is followed by hot water only
And then jag patches with a common solvent. It is then time to get the brush out and you will see more crud that will call for additional patches. This will keep that "ring" from developing.

Offline topper88

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 09:03:36 AM »
Last time that happened to me I took a length of #12 copper, electrical wire with the insulation stripped off, maybe you can leave it on.  I made a 1" v in the end like an fish tape and pushed it down to the bottom and it caught enough of the brush to pull out.  I was lucky.  The hollow sleeve sounds excellent, like copper tubbing or something soft.

Good luck.  Let us know how it worked out for you.

Offline Forestclimber

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 02:20:06 PM »
Semi-sane has a good idea.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 02:40:36 PM »
Had the same thing happen last year. I Pulled the nipple poured a pinch
or 2 of powder in and replaced the Nipple. Pointed at the ground and simply shot it out.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline TCU SHOOTER

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 09:08:46 PM »
The tubing sounds like the best idea. As for shooting it out with some powder put in the drum hole does not sound good because the burning powder would just blow through the wire brush. As for cleaning, this method has worked for me for over 30 years. I allways take the muzzle loading rifle apart, I take the lock off, the barrel out the of the gun the niple out of the drum I never remove the drum. I make a solution of hot soapy water in a 3 or 5 gallon bucket drop the lock in it put the breach end of the barrel in the bucket, using a jag of the proper size wet a patch with the soapy water work it in and out of the barrel keeping the barrel down in the water this will cause suction and pull the water up the barrel I keep doing this until the patch starts to come clean. I put a new wet patch on the jag and repeat. This patch will come clean as a whistle in a minute or so. I then rinse with clean cold water from an out side hose. I then clean the lock with a tooth brush in the soapy water. I use an air hose to blow the water off of both them I spray with WD-40 blow them off with the air hose, wipe the bore with a clean dry patch or two, I have never had to clean the triger assembly accept to wipe it off with a clean rag and oil it lightly. I usually use a rubber tipped air chuck that will assure a tight seal at the muzzle end of the barrel and this will get 98 percent of the water out and the dry patches will get the rest. Be sure to use some rust preventive in the bore. I have never had a rusted bore or rifle. Also be sure to clean around the drum with the tooth brush. I have never had to use more than 4 patches to clean a muzzle loading rifle. This sounds quite envolved but it takes less time than it did to write this. I have heard some bad things about WD-40 and guns that are blued and browned barrels but don't believe it. I have been using WD- 40 on my guns for over 35 years and have never seen any degrading of the bluing or browning.

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 02:51:09 AM »
Had the same thing happen last year. I Pulled the nipple poured a pinch
or 2 of powder in and replaced the Nipple. Pointed at the ground and simply shot it out.
This method is sure worth a try.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 07:24:40 AM »
Biggest problem with trying to shoot it out is that the powder chamber is probably already wet with whatever cleaning solution was used and putting powder in a wet chamber will just add black goo to the mess.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 11:57:29 AM »
Tried the tubing trick but couldn't find a tube (tried copper and polypropelyne(sp?)) that would go down the barrel.T/C bores are tighter than a (insert comparison here). So I removed the musket nipple, worked probably about 6 or 8 grains of FFG 777 and shot the s.o.b. out. And yes I do wash with a bucket of hot soapy water plunging a cotton swab to create suction. Thanks for all the help. I love this place. Good hunting.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 12:01:30 PM »
Glad it worked for you. 8)
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".