Author Topic: H&R 32 Caliber Top-Break 6 shooter  (Read 3816 times)

Offline throxjones2

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R 32 Caliber Top-Break 6 shooter
« on: June 16, 2010, 06:13:40 AM »
Am a newbie having just enlisted today, and I need help identifying my recently acquired pistol.  Here is what I know about it:
On ridge on top of barrel printed  "HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO."
                                                 "WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A."
On left side of barrel printed "AUTO EJECTING 32 S.&W. CTG."    (Nota Bene: All of the labeling is in all capital letters!)
Round barrel about 5 inches long
SN inside the grip on left side is   281065
Black plastic grip
Top-Break ejecting
Center-fire

Wish to know anything and all anyone can tell me about this little shooter AND can I use modern ammunition in it w/o fear that it will explode the cylinder?
If not modern ammo, where can I procure some low-powered 32 S&W  Auto Ejecting cartridges?

Feel free to answer this on-line and at my email address of tkbpop@yahoo.com

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R 32 Caliber Top-Break 6 shooter
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 06:19:10 AM »
Welcome! BBGoV has several Auto Ejecting models listed, maybe one of our participating H&R Inc experts will offer more info.  ;)

Tim

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/everygun/GunMfgCategoryDetail.aspx?id=2046
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline blpenn66502

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 06:55:03 AM »
You have an Auto Ejecting Third Model that was made for smokeless powder cartridges, in your case, the 32 S&W (Short).  No patent dates and MASS. abbreviated instead of spelled out puts it manufacturing date between 1913-1915.  Winchester, Remington and I think Magtech all still make 32 S&W (Short) ammunition but you aren't likely to find it at WalMart as the demand is probably very, very low.  The 32 S&W by nature is a low powered round and I'm fairly certain that ammo manufacturers have taken into account the 1000s of old revolvers, including break-tops, out there but the standard caution/warning to have it checked out by a gunsmith applies.  Brian 

Offline Old No7

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 04:03:46 AM »
I think you'll need to measure the cylinder length (internal, where the case fits), as my 6-shooter H&R Top Break is also marked "AUTO EJECTING 32 S&W CTG" -- and it's a 32 S&W Long.

If I remember right, the cylinder of a "Long" is ~3/8" longer than a "Short" -- externally; you'd have to consult a reloading manual to get the actual specs of the case length.

Too often, many folks don't specify L or S -- I just got another Auto Ejecting at Cabela's marked "32 S&W Short" -- and indeed, it was/is a Long.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 02:44:27 PM »
The piece is a 3rd Model (as BLPenn posted) and it is a 3rd Variation, made between 1913 and 1924.  From the Serial number probably closer to 1920 (when compared to the 3rd Var. pieces in my collection).
As to cartridge - the .32 S&W LONG was introduced around 1903.  H&R improved the design of their hand guns to handle smokeless/Nitro powders pressures circa 1904 and by 1905 all of their hand guns were smokeless capable and all the Auto Ejectors/Automatics were chambered for the LONG.  The original blackpowder .32 CF capable handguns were chambered for the .32 S&W and the .32 H&R Long (similar to the .32 Merwin & Hulbert).  NOTE:  all PREMIER models and variations were chambered ONLY for the .32 S&W (the short one.)  I have original boxes from both eras that indicate the chamberings mentioned above.  I also have an original box which apparently held a BP/pre 1905 piece sold after 1904 which has an added label stating "FOR BLACK POWDER ONLY". 
The only H&R handguns that I have seen indicating .32 S&W LONG chamberings on the barrel were some late production Model 732/733s.  These have .32 S&W L  stamped on the barrel. 
Summary:  All H&R large, hinged or solid or swing out cylinder frame revolvers chambered in .32 cal. made after 1905, will handle .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long.  While all the small, hinged frame revolvers (PREMIERS) were designed to use the shorter.  Solid frame, pull-pin cylinder removal handguns follow the same pattern.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012