Author Topic: H&R customer service  (Read 1120 times)

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
H&R customer service
« on: May 17, 2010, 11:49:31 AM »
Have they changed their contact number?    I have tried several times today to reach them at the number listed on the H&R website but I keep getting a message that I cannot be connected to that number.......what gives?
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: H&R customer service
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:51:34 PM »
gstewart,
I got through to CS today with no problem at about 12:30 central time, that was the good news. The CS person told me they would look at my 22 Hornet to see if the barrel was indeed loose or within tolarance. I have to pay shipping to them and if the firearm meets their specs, I would have to pay both return shipping and hourly rate for checking it out. I was not given an explanation on what the specs are. How does one quantify a "loose " barrel to know if it is within specs? I asked about getting a break on a barrel while it was there, absolutely not! The CS person could not even tell me if the barrel I wanted was in stock! I was told several times if the firearm was more than 2 years old it was not under warranty. They made me feel as if though I was a PIA for wanting it fixed. If this does not get resolved to my liking, it will be my last Handi! JamesIII

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:59:17 PM »
Their toll free number is (866)776-9292

James, you could call back again and get an entirely different answer, so I wouldn't give up on it, Ilion has always done exceptionally well in making repairs on new or used firearms. Unfortunately Madison phone support can be good or bad, just depends on who you talk to, they cover shipping both ways most of the time, I don't recollect anyone being turned down due to the 2yr warranty, many 2nd hand firearms have been repaired free of charge over the years and Ilion has continued that tradition. Give Madison another call. :-\

Tim

i was on the phone again it has not even been 1 week sense i dropped it off.
the rifling has deffect. no new 204 barrels to choose from, he told me to pick a new barrel bore?????????????  ;D  50 bmg  ??? ;D :'( he just laughed and told me that i didnt.  he said it would hurt  to shoot.
so my next choise  was the 22-250   ;D
hope it shoots good :) :)
H&R
deserve a big A+ on there service and repairs  excellent service and fast. no fees for shipping
                  rw 

I bought a used pardner that was opening while cocked.  They fixed it free of charge and shipped it back for free.  It did cost shipping to send it to them.  They replaced the internals according to the work order.  it works fine now.  It took about 2 weeks. Of course it was 10 days worth of shipping.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 06:07:07 PM »
When I called they told me there is no warranty work after 2 yrs. Had me send it to an in state (MN) smith who they approved of and he checked it out and found it to be within tolerances and sent it back. I paid shipping both ways and for the new spur, He charged me nothing for checking the headspace and trigger pull. But had they needed to work on it in any depth it would have been my bill as per the H&R rep I spoke with. The smith they sent me to was great as far as PR but it sounds like gstewart got the same rep I got....
Although the smith they sent me to admitted to not working on "many" handis. -thejanitor

Offline v8r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 03:28:34 AM »
So they only have a two year warranty now?
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
H&R Topper 158 .22 Hornet
H&R Classic Carbine .45 LC
NEF  .357 magnum
H&R "Golden Buffalo" Buffalo Classic 45-70
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 05:20:27 AM »
They always have, but H&R has never limited support to 2 yrs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 05:41:27 AM »
Finally got in touch with Steve at Customer Service this morning.   He was very polite and quick to send out a return label so I can ship my Pardner back for repair.    Should have the label in a day or two.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 07:33:11 AM »
Well I got my 20g Pardner back from repair last week.   functions fine now.   two bad it took six weeks turnaround on a brand new shotgun.    but it does work perfectly.       My only other experiences with customer service were with H&R/Gardner, Ruger and Rossi.    All those were quick and positive experiences. 

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 09:45:02 AM »
All my dealings with CS both in Gardner and the new locations were handled well.  I never had a return to deal with, but barrel fitting and parts were handled just fine.  Steve seems to be a good rep.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 05:33:01 PM »
Well apparently they don't even have a 4 month warranty if they decide they don't want to do it.  They discontinued .45 lc barrels, so now won't service mine.  8(  My rep was pretty friendly, just disappointing answer. 8(
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline digs68

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 02:44:42 PM »
The folks I spoke with (in Illinois) were one of their certified repair facilities. Mann & Son was the name. They seemed very polite, informative, and helpful. They also assured me that they work on Handis all the time, so not to worry about the issues I was having.
I'll wait to get it back before commenting on their accuracy in service, but will say that if their repairs are anything like their customer service, I expect to be very pleased.