Author Topic: Where are the factory lead bullets  (Read 529 times)

Offline inthebeech

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Where are the factory lead bullets
« on: October 21, 2010, 07:04:30 AM »
I am not knocking those dozens of small to midsize casting companies that have sprung up, but you'd have to admit that there are few choices for those SOFT lead handloaders such as myself.  Though I have had good reults and can state that Desperado makes fine soft lead stuff, I was hoping to try the Speer lead SWC;but I just found out from Midway that their 44 cal 240 gr SWC is being discontinued.  Thankfully their 38 cal. HBWC  is still available but that was disappointing news about the 44 stuff.  Anyone believe that it might be just that retailer?  I also know of Hornady's offerings and have no experience with them but will likely go there next if it is true about Speer.

Offline southernutah

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Where are the factory lead bullets
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 08:24:49 AM »
I believe most are going to hard cast or plated. With the push to go lead free we may see a lot of casters toto the way side. Might consider stocking up some. There are stil a lot of manufactures. Check on the SASS sites and should be able to find some suppliers.
It's all supply and demand.

Offline Bart Solo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 08:27:02 AM »
Try Missouri Bullet Company.  They ship USPS flat box rate which saves a bunch.   They are a lead bullet factory with a pretty full line of products.  I have found them to be good people with friendly service.

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 05:14:40 PM »
I've shot some Hornady lead bullets in both .44 and .45 calibers (240 grain SWC and 230 grain LRN respectively).  They work fine, but the dry lube they use is a little messy to work with (we wash our hands after handling lead bullets anyway, right?).

I still generally prefer hard cast, but I'm not opposed to using Hornady bullets (I think I still have some .44 cals floating around, may have to roll some .44 Specials soon).

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 07:22:04 PM »
I had great satisfaction using the LazerCast bullets by Oregon Trail. A box of 500 is about 50 bucks.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 03:09:12 AM »
 If you're looking  for a soft bullet then I think the Hornady swaged is the way to go.  I've used their swaged roundballs in my muzzleloaders with very good results. 
 Most cast bullets are harder than a swaged to obtain greater velociites without leading and to survive shipping. I realize there's more to leading than hardness but that's another topic altogether. I'm going to assume your particular application calls for a soft bullet,  and if you don't mind my asking I'd love to hear what you've got going on.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor