Author Topic: mould source, 32 cal.  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Czech_too

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Contributor
mould source, 32 cal.
« on: October 20, 2010, 01:36:35 AM »
I'm looking for a source, other than Lee, for a .32 round ball mould?  Neither RCBS, Lyman or NEI seem to offer one.

I've cast a few hundred using the Lee, they drop at .312 if memory serves me right, and along with a .015 patch, which is what is called for, and it's a tight fit.  I am going to try a .010 patch but am also looking at other alternatives here.  Anyone have any experience with the Hornady RB and what is the actual dia. of their 32?

These will be used in a T/C Cherokee by the way.

Thanks,
Brian
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

genealogy, another area of interest

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: mould source, 32 cal.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 05:41:20 AM »
Don't know about the molde's but my Cherokee is most accurate with the tightest patch I can use and 20 gr(measured) 3f pyrodex(p)...shoots like a .22 with a wet spitpatch wipe between shots... ;)
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 07:14:04 AM »
Lyman and RCBS seem to have dropped most of the roundball sizes they used to produce. You may find a set of used blocks at a gun show, if you're lucky.  Hornady #1 buck runs .300" and may work well with a thick patch. Hornady buckshot is actually more round and uniform than their swaged balls and a five pound box will have about 875 balls.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Czech_too

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 10:03:35 AM »
This being my first muzzle loader, there's a definite learning curve.  What I have found so far is that a couple of spit patches are a must between shots.  I have gotten good accuracy, so far, with 30gr of GoexFFF but their a couple inches low, at 50 yards, so next time out I'm going to try 35 gr.  This with the rear sight bottomed out.  I may look into some kind of  fiber optic front sight too.  These eyes aren't 20 years old anymore.
I've seen very little in the way of any kind of moulds at the shows lately but I keep looking for those 'pieces and parts'.

Thanks for the input.
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 05:19:27 AM »
I've often wondered why manufacturers other than Lee do not offer a .32 caliber roundball mold.  Then I think I discovered the reason.  Hornady #0 buckshot is .320 caliber.  You can buy 5 lbs for 24.50.  That's roughly $0.03 per ball.  RCBS et. al. probably figure most shooters will consider it not worthwhile to cast when they can be had for so cheap.

Track of the Wolf has 'em:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/TableList.aspx?catID=2&subID=25&styleID=58&PageSize=25&Page=3
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 05:40:59 AM »
It's going to be very hard to load a .320" ball and patch down a .320" bore and especially so with Hornady buckshot which is considerably harder than pure lead. The Hornady "0" buck does work nicely in .31 caliber revolvers but is too large for a patched ball in .32 rifles. The reason Lyman and RCBS no longer produce molds for the smaller balls is quite simply lack of sales, we should feel lucky that Lee still offers one.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Rotten RJ

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
  • Avid Poster
  • "Initial success or total failure."
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 04:23:33 AM »
You might give Jeff Tanner's moulds a look at  WWW.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk
Folks on the traditional muzzle loader forums have reported very favorably about his moulds.
Hope this helps.
RJ
US Army (ret) EOD Master Blaster

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 06:04:37 AM »
Coyote,

I have a .32 with a Longhammock barrel.  #0 (.320") buckshot rams home very easily.  This may be due to the broad grooves and narrow lands of the bore.  I also have a .311" Lee mold.  There is a difference in starting the two but once the buckshot is past the muzzle it goes down just as easily as the cast balls.

That said, every bore is different and it may be that #1 shot would be the trick for Czech's gun.
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline bubba15301

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 09:33:05 AM »
i have a lee mould rb as cast, measure out to .311 dia
BUBBA

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 02:30:27 PM »
regarding the shooting low-you need to raise the rear sight instead of bottoming it out. for what it's worth and good luck, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 03:19:23 PM »
I know it seems blasphemy to some, but I would try a thinner patch.  With some rifling a thick napped material works quite well.  I use cotton flannel in my target barrel.

Offline Czech_too

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 01:48:30 AM »
regarding the shooting low-you need to raise the rear sight instead of bottoming it out. for what it's worth and good luck, bubba.
Bubba, thanks for pointing that out.  I'm going to attribute that to either another 'senior moment' or sleep depravation.  DUH!
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA