Author Topic: question on full length rezising die  (Read 493 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
question on full length rezising die
« on: November 03, 2010, 04:33:20 AM »
I like to ask will this work I don't have a neck sizing die but I can back out the full length resizing die to re size about 3/4 of the neck on my 243 cal. will it work?
I did reload some with 100 Gr. bullets and it seem o.k. to me.
I recheck the bullet seats excellent no head space in the chamber lock up tight.
I use it on my 30-06 with this set up and run inot no problems the only difference the 243 cal. has a short neck compared to the 30-06

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: question on full length rezising die
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 04:53:51 AM »
It will work. You can smoke the neck of a case and actually see where you are sizing and size almost down to where the neck meets the shoulder.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 05:24:53 AM »
"I did reload some with 100 Gr. bullets and it seem o.k. to me."

Seems you are asking us if you can do what you've already done?  Guess so.  ??
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:57:30 AM »
never hurts to ask

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 12:31:27 PM »
LW

The only thing you have to watch for doing it that way is that at some point you will have to FL size the case's to bump the shoulder back , depending on the cut of the chamber it could be as early as 1 loading or as many as 3 or 4 before this happens .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Catfish

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 01:54:15 PM »
The only time you will run into truble is if the chamber on your rifle is over size and you end up partially resizeing the case and leveing a ring on the case. If this happens just pull the bullets and FL resize and the cases are good to go. I have never run into this with a factory chamber but have with a couple of custom chambers.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 01:37:33 PM »
One thing I do not remember being addressed, when backing the sizing die out to partal resize, is squaring the sizer with the shell holder.  All instructions I have say to raise the ram to full height, then screw die down to contact shell holder and then tighten lock ring.

One of my reloading books said this has a two fold purpose.  One to bring brass shoulder to correct spec and two, to square the sizing die with the shell holder.  This makes sense because the 7/8-14 threads have a lot of slack.

Depending on how far I want to back the sizer off I use a feeler gauge between the die and shell holder to get them squared.  Most of the time I use a .035 gauge that equals about 3/4 turn of the die.  Unless there is hole in the gauge don't forget to remove the decapper first ;)

Ken

NRA Life Member

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 05:39:10 PM »
"This makes sense because the 7/8-14 threads have a lot of slack."

A Darn Good Point!! I've used a flat washer about as big as the shell holder. Seems once the lock ring is set, the adjusment is repeatable simply by turning it in and tightening to the same pressure.

And I'm really glad you mentioned that. Because I had completely forgotten about it, and that may be the answer to a neck sizing die that I just got that's giving me fit's!  :D :D
found elsewhere

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 01:13:57 PM »
I fired the 243 cal. today no problem with the set up good lock up on the H@R all shots inside a 3/4" group
I did the  flat washer set up work out great also