Author Topic: most common & easily found big game round in the U.S  (Read 5834 times)

Offline 1marty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: most common & easily found big game round in the U.S
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2010, 05:01:02 PM »
My Dad gave me a win 94 in 30-30 50 years ago. I still hunt with it today and it's just as deadly as it was 50 years ago. The ammo is found everywhere and it's cheap. The 30-30 round has killed more deer than any other cartrige. I see some guys hunt deer with a cartridge which would blow a water buffalo away. The 30-30 is more than adequate.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2010, 03:23:21 PM »
I have met too many younger guys that don't think a 30-30 cannot kill a deer. They think you need a 300mag. Its rediculous.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2010, 06:29:09 PM »
I guess it depends on what you call better.  I'd say 75% of the firearm problems that I troubleshoot are handload related.  Folks seem amazed when you show them that the gun functions fine and shoots sub-MOA with factory ammo.

Few people understand the concepts needed to produce safe and accurate reloads.

Factory ammo is 10 times better than it was 10 years ago.  Reloading is a way to save money or feed a gun that factory ammo isn't availble for.

Are you trying to tell me that if you make poor quality ammo,that does not meet the proper specs that it just wont work right? Thats just crazy talk!

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2010, 09:14:41 PM »
I have met too many younger guys that don't think a 30-30 cannot kill a deer. They think you need a 300mag. Its rediculous.

I don't know.  I hear a lot about these mythical "younger" guys on the net who think that they need magnums, but I very, very rarely meet them in real life.  :)  I'm sure they're out there, but I think to a large degree they're mostly myth.  People like to feel superior, and if they can tout their choices as evidence of the wrongness of another group, then that helps out.

Maybe it's just the area I'm in.  Not sure, but everyone I've met has had plenty of respect for the old calibers.  I know at least several dozen other hunters.  Only only I know that uses a "magnum" is actually an older guy, and it's a .270 WSM which has magnum in the name, but isn't really "magnum" in power levels.  There's a little of everything, but most commonly I see .30-06 and .270 (which are the two rounds I mostly use - I have 2 .30-30's and do occasionally take them out - they'll definitely kill deer but sometimes I hunt clearings where they just don't have the available range I'd want). 

Indeed, I rather tend to see people going a little too LOW in power for my tastes.  Seems for many there's a race to the bottom to see just how little gun they can use.  I know of 1 guy using a .223 this season, and another using a .22-250.  The WORST is one guy in particular who just has no concept that certain bullets aren't good choices for hunting.   He's older(ish - just shy of 50) and admittedly is looking for reduced recoil due to having shoulder surgery a few years back, but he's hunting with a small Marlin carbine in 9mm Luger with hollow-points this year.  Being a centerfire with non-FMJ ammo it's TECHNICALLY legal, but it's just foolish.  A heavier .243 would work SOOO much better and would have light enough recoil that I'm sure he could handle it, but oh well.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2010, 09:23:56 AM »
Read these forums, go to a hunting camp/outfitter, visit a few gun stores, research whats selling with the gun makers and ammo coompanies and you'll see what I mean. The demand for mag cartridges is smoking past the standard calibers by far. Too many people are beleiving what these companies are telling and what the rag writers write for them. Don't take it from me.There's nothing mythical about the factual sales demand numbers for mag hunting calibers.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2010, 04:19:25 PM »
My Dad gave me a win 94 in 30-30 50 years ago. I still hunt with it today and it's just as deadly as it was 50 years ago. The ammo is found everywhere and it's cheap. The 30-30 round has killed more deer than any other cartrige. I see some guys hunt deer with a cartridge which would blow a water buffalo away. The 30-30 is more than adequate.

Havent you heard,DWR has been up-armoring the deer for the last 10 years or so. That 30-30 is going to splatter against the steel armor plates they are hanging off them.