Author Topic: Single Action or Semi-Auto?  (Read 6571 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Single Action or Semi-Auto?
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2010, 12:50:14 PM »
I'm not saying all manual safeties are a major problem. Just that neither are hammer block safeties. Both are a matter of choice and require common sense to be safe. But some manual safeties are a lot safer than others. Talk to enough firearms owners and you'll quickly realize that some manual safeties are way too easy to disengage unintentionaly. Then you have a loaded firearm that requires very little pressure on the trigger to fire. If that don't make a person nervous it dang well should. Practice is a good thing too, just don't totally rely on it because the fact still remains that you don't know what you will do untill faced with split second decisions. While practice proved to make actions second nature to some,  I've seen enough men faulter in combat to KNOW that it is a fact that it don't always work. I'm all for giving yourself every edge possible. Know your firearm, keep it in good working condition, know you loads, and yes practice, so you at least have an idea what you plan to do. If practice helps you do it easier then great. It should at least help you handle your weapon more efficiently. Theoreticly it should get you through but theories often fall short when reallity hits. You made a very good point and that is "mind set" is possibly the most important factor of all. It's said of James Butler Hickock. "That the man who wins a gunfight is the one who can calmly take deliberate aim and fire while bullets are whizzing past his ears." That is something you simply can't practice for. That requires real life exsperience. It requires steady nerves which not everyone has. Hickock proved that concept when he put one bullet through the heart of Dave Tutt, on the square of Springfield, Mo., at 75 yards. Witnesses said Tutt fired first. By the way, Tutt was well known as a good marksman but obviously his targets were'nt shooting back!

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2010, 05:45:25 PM »
First no one said a wager is the same as a life and death struggle but it makes one try harder.
 As far as course of action it is important to have run thru. several courses of action in your head at least before getting into trouble. Its easy really , if you park in the same spot everyday then it would be easy to come up with some of the "what ifs" that could happen . As far as the hostage sit. in a store . Thats where reading or classes help . In a store or resturant if the bad guy takes you to the cooler in over 90% of the time its to kill you. In a bank it you are being taken to the vault its likely you won't be harmed . This came from a class I took and were part of an FBI report on what happens in such situations . Knowing the above would have bearing on my decision if confronted with either case.
 Many feel a gun is the end all to personal safety when in reality it is an erasser for when you have screwed up in many cases. Its like the question - if you knew you would be in a gun fight if you go to such and so what gun would you take. Smart ansewer is I would not go ! To survive a gun fight is to win . Best way to survive is not be in a gun fight.
 Reality of a gun fight is most any gun will work if the shooter is willing to do what he has to do. Part of willing is to decide in advance if you are willing to live a lifestyle that educates you in self defense and are willing to live it. It often means not going to dangerous places , different clothes and staying alert at all times. Many won't do these things. BTW if safties were a problem then why do those who go into some of the most dangerous places carry 1911's Why is the Browning HP still used by many police and military units over the world ?
Part of the lifestyle is keeping your weapon clean , A friend of mine carried a Glock 19 for a summer in his bibs . When he decided to shoot it one day the slide would not retract. After using a hammer and block of wood it would move and the gun worked . It was full of dust , sweat and pocket trash.

I dont think I can argue with a single word you said. Personally,I like to think of my gun as an option. If there is a problem,like I'm attacked,robbed or walk in on an armed robbery,its one more option that I have to resolve a situation. The best option as you said,is not to be in that situation to begin with. The way I see it,I dont know whats going to happen or what the best course of action is in a situation until it unfolds,but if I find myself in the middle of something,I like to have as many options as possible.

The 1911 and Browning High Power in my opinion are two of the finest guns you can buy. One thing I like about the 1911 is the grip safety. I had a problem when I first got mine with the safety coming off,which was very disturbing. A change of holster mostly fixed it,but still if I tried I could get it to come off,and even though it was hard,it convinced me that it COULD happen. I went to a GI style safety instead of the extended safety and that solved it 100%. (seems to be another thing JMB got right the first time) While it was disturbing it WAS in a holster,that completely covered the trigger and there is a grip safety that provides some additional protection. For the 1911 to fire accidentally,assuming you dont monkey with it,the grip safety needs to be depressed,the safety needs to be accidentally switched off and something needs to pull the trigger.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2010, 07:55:47 PM »
That is what is nice about the Springfield XD's. You have three differant safeties that must be depressed for one to fire. Of course being aware is important, as is a quick evaluation of any situation. As I taught my children at an early age, your greatest weapon is sitting right between your ears. Guys, if we all liked the same weapon there would be a lot fewer choices wouldn't there be? I'll say it again, use what works for you and allow others to do the same.