Author Topic: Colonel Colt's Foil Cartridges  (Read 1006 times)

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Rabid, Avid Shooter
    • http://www.myspace.com/sixgun_symphony
Colonel Colt's Foil Cartridges
« on: November 27, 2010, 09:52:39 AM »
 Check out the Nov/Dec 2010 issue of Backwoodsman Magazine for the article titled "Colonel Colt's Foil Cartridges". The article details on how to make these waterproof foil cartridges for percussion revolvers.
NRA - Endowment Life Member
NMLRA - Life Member
SASS - #62632

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: Colonel Colt's Foil Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 06:17:28 AM »
COOL!  Will do!   ;)

If I can get it on line that is...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline goodshot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:05:54 AM »
I couldn't get it on line, maybe they will archive it and I can access it later.
My local library used to get it, I will try them Monday or so.
best wishes to all, :)

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »
Some wally worlds carry it. check bookstores also like Borders. Sometimes my local grocery store will get it in. Worth tracking down. Its the only outdoors magazine I have read cover to cover. Better yet, just get a subscription.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 10:36:02 AM »
Been a subscriber to Backwoodsman for years. Just sent in my renewal.
Got a subscription for my brother last spring and he loves it. We both enjoy fishing and the outdoors, but neither of us hunt. You'll find yourself reading about all kinds of things -- how to build a dory boat, raising chickens, making pickles, etc. -- and never do any of those projects. But it's still interesting and fun reading.
I highly recommend Backwoodsman for a fun, interesting light read for all who enjoy the outdoors.
I haven't yet got my copy, so I can't comment on the article.

Foil cartridges. Yep, Sam Colt started with foil and later went to paper. The 1960 or 1961 issues of Shooting Times had quite an article on Sam Colt's foil cartridges. This was back when Shooting Times was a paper tabloid and not a magazine. I have the bound copies of these early editionst; very few bound volumes exist as far as I can tell.
Anyway, I looked for this article but couldn't find it (of course).
Sam Colt tried using American-made tin foil but it was poor quality. It had too many tiny holes, out of which powder leaked. Soon, he began importing the foil for his cartridges from Germany, which was very high quality and didn't leak.
But the cost of import was too much. Later, he perfected the paper cartridges and went with that.
Original Colt's foil cartridges for cap and ball revolvers are rare. Few survived.
Today's modern foil should work fine.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."