Author Topic: .357 lead vs jacketed  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Ruskin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
.357 lead vs jacketed
« on: November 15, 2010, 04:20:42 AM »
I was shooting my Maxi with jacketed bullets.  I wanted to try cast because of cost.

At the range, all my shots cast right.  I checked my scope to see if it had gone bad.  I used a bore sighter to see if the reticles moved.  All OK.

I went back to jacketed, and I found it printed where I left the scope set with the bore sighter.

I checked the lead bullets.  They are .357.  I looked at hornady lead bullets and they are .358.  Maybe my gun doesn't like leaded bullets, or maybe the .001 makes a difference.

I understand cowboy shooters using 38 loads want a bullet which will not have much recoil and they buy .357 for their lever guns. 

What gives?

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: .357 lead vs jacketed
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:40:59 AM »
 Cast bullets are generally .001"-.002" larger than bore size. I imagine this is to more thoroughly engage the riflig and to provide a good gas seal.
 How bad was your leading with .357 bulets? I bet it was pretty severe if you were shooting at Maxi velocities.
 I haven't heard that bit about the CA shooters, but it makes sense.  Looser fit = less resistance= less recoil. That would also allow for a lighter powder charge, further reducing recoil. Since the object is to ring as many steel targets as you can as quickly as you can, recoil reduction is very important for rapid target acquisition. Of course I might be off base since I'm not a CA shooter, and hopefully some of the CA guys will be able to offer a better answer than I.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 09:39:31 AM »
Ruskin

Are the cast bullets the same weight as the jacketed ones you are shooting ? Are they runing the same FPS as the jacketed ?

The fact that the different bullets are hitting at different points does not supprise me at all , even 2 different brands of bullets of the same weight , with the same powder charge will most times have a different point of impact .

How are the groups with the cast bullets ? If the groups are Ok just ajust the scope to move POI to were you want it and re-ajust when going back to jacketed pills .

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:36:26 AM »
I could not adjust the POI to the left.  That is why I checked the scope to see if I had busted it.  NO group with leaded bullets.  The jacketed printed left where the vertical reticle was.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 02:38:24 AM »
Quote from: Ruskin
I could not adjust the POI to the left.  

Check your scope for extreme adjustment to the left.  You would ordinarily want your scope's UP/DOWN and LEFT/RIGHT (windage and elevation) to each be ideally in the middle of the range of available clicks.  I suspect your LEFT/RIGHT is clicked to an extreme end.  Losing all of your adjustment in one direction means you should reset.

If you have the time and inclination, set the LEFT/RIGHT adjustment all the way to the right (or left, whichever is closer).  Count the clicks all the way to the other end - a tedious and arduous task.  Divide by 2 and count the clicks to the MIDDLE of the range.  Do this for the UP/DOWN too.  WRITE THESE NUMBERS DOWN FOR POSTERITY.  Do not talk to anyone, listen to the radio, or become 'disengaged' mentally when counting clicks or you will have to start over - not a good plan.  It will ruin your morning.

THEN bore sight the rifle and readjust the scope and in particular ITS MOUNTS.  Sometimes a fresh start is necessary.

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 04:23:35 AM »
I did check the scope.  The change in bullets to jacketed made the difference.  After I checked the scope with the bore sight.  I left it in the center.  I had plenty of left/ right adjustment when checking.

I believe I know the meaning to "slingin lead".

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 02:13:50 AM »
I believe that if you want to shoot cast, accurately, you need to slug your bore and then order (your choice of design) bullets .001" larger and since you are shooting these from a 357 Max I would suggest a gas-checked bullet to prevent leading.  I believe the velocities at which the Max would push a cast slug down the tube are too high to prevent leading unless you use gas-checked slugs.  Also, if you are shooting these slugs from a rifle (you did not say) I would suggest you lap your bore ala Veral Smith or Beartooth Bullets, which would certainly help to reduce leading.  HTH.

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 03:02:04 AM »
I load some .357 lead smi-wadcutters, that I pore muself. I load them them to .38 special specs. This gives me a light and accurate plinking load that don't lead my gun.
  You can likely push a gas checked bullets a good bit faster with out leading.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 01:48:06 PM »
Bullet to groove fit is essential to good accuracy and low/no leading. Slug the bore of your gun and use bullets of .002"+ over groove size. In some revolvers .003" or .004" over isn't unheard of.

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 06:21:16 AM »
I have come to the conclusion the lead bullets are for .38 velocities.  When I go for Max velocities that is when they go erradic.

I have also concluded that a barrel has a sweet spot or love of a certain weight bullet due to twist and velocity.  I beleive the .357 and max tend to like heavier bullets.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 07:55:08 AM »
Ruskin, you didn't say what kind of gun it is. .357 maxi, as in DW super mag,Handi rifle,TC?? DW had made 2 different twist barrels for their SM. And, if you wanted it to shoot accurately with jacketed bullets, you had to load it ba**s to the wall. Cast bullets would shoot ok, if they were gas checked, and you had to work your load up slowly.
The TC 10'' I had would shoot cast better than the DW, and a milder load.(cast a 210gr for either one) So the recoil wasn't as bad. Twist rate has alot to do with accuracy in this caliber. The 1-16 in the DW gave much better accuracy with the heavier bullets, and I believe the TC was a 1-14. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 08:54:04 AM »
As you already discovered, the lead bullets you're shooting are for .38's.  As I read your first post I figured that you're probably pushing the bullets beyond their capacity.  If firing lead bullets at MAXI velocities, you were probably deforming the bullets and/or plating the heck out of your barrel with lead.  My recommendation would be to use gas checked CAST bullets.

Lead vs. jacketed aside, any time you change a load or bullet weight or type, you're bound to have groups change location on your target.  Even the change of a powder under the same bullet often times moves the POI considerably.

My suggestion:  Slug your barrel and order the proper sized bullets.  Make a decision of which you want to shoot; jacketed or cast and stay with it.  If you go back and forth, you're going to have to sight the rifle/pistol in each time you change bullets.  Lastly, if you choose to go with cast bullets, buy gas check bullets. 

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 11:23:12 AM »
Ruskin,
I still don't see what firearm you are using and having trouble with.
How heavy a bullet do you want to use and how fast do you think it should go?
I have had good luck shooting 180 grain gas checked cast bullets at 2000 ft/sec in my Contender carbine.

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 03:52:53 AM »
I am shooting a 10" contender barrel.  I also have a carbine which I need to work up a load for.