Author Topic: Adding sights on 45colt/410 survivor  (Read 3347 times)

Offline bigreave

• Trade Count: (2)
Adding sights on 45colt/410 survivor
« on: November 06, 2010, 07:31:49 PM »
I randomly found a 45 colt / 410 survivor  a guy was selling what he called a snake charmer lol and for seventy five bucks it was mine . I shoots fair i just cant get use to a front bead instead of a sight . I also found that when u shoot 410 shells it gets dirty quick in the rifleing , i have two questions is it possible to have some sort of sights put on ( and if possible would it be better to send it into the factory or take it too a gunsmith ) and second is it normal for a rifled barrel to get filthy dirty with shot shells ? thanks

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Adding sights on 45colt/410 survivor
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 01:20:24 AM »
First off, just so you know, with that 3" long 410 chamber they are not known for 45 colt accuracy.

There is a reason shotguns have a smooth bore, they don't take to all that spinning nonsense. not and deliver good patterns anyhow. The plastic fouls the rifling terribly.

I have put sites on a number of shotgun barrels. Its not too difficult with some common sence, a drill press, taps and take tour time. If you have a  machinists back ground, its a cake walk.  ::) ;D If not, its not something you want to foul up. Just take it to the gunsmith.

Good luck with your project.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 02:43:43 AM »
if your wanting to d&t, go ahead and do it for a scope base and install a 20mm red-dot.
i did and with a few other tricks, it shoots very good. you can compensate for the "jump"
of the colt bullet with the red-dot. usually the bullet seems to go to one area of poi
with developed handloads.... lottsa fun !!! ;D

we have 3 of these and all perform quite well for what there intended for.
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline kaveman

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 05:17:15 AM »
Gendoc have you tried the federal personal defense .410 handgun load in youre 45colt/410 survivor? the ones I have shot were thru a single shot rossi with mod choke they grouped very tight at 15 yards, wondering how they would do in the survivor with rifling, these loads were developed for the taurus Judge so they might be good out of the survivor barrel
                                                        Kaveman

Offline gendoc

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 06:02:15 AM »
hey kaveman...only store bought ammo i shoot is rimfire.
but i bet it might be gud thru the survivor.
 ;D
sea-ya.....

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

Offline Rayzor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 06:11:25 AM »
I to was wondering about sights for my 410. I am leaning towards a peep sight myself for better slug accuracy.

Offline kaveman

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 06:33:02 AM »
Local pawn got one for 100.00, little rough with no choke tube, might be fun to play with, and I to was wondering about sights, what is a fair used price on one?
                                                             Kaveman

Offline gendoc

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 06:42:20 AM »
thats a good price for a used one, even if its been hung-up wet.
make sure its tight in tha lockup.

ifin ya get it, let me know and i'll tell ya some secrets to accuracy.

don't be deceived by others on accuracy. they just have not put days,weeks, and months
to perfect it.  i have....

and don't bother with getting a choke tube for it unless you plan on using it mainly
for a small game scatter-gun
sea-ya.....

Offline kaveman

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 07:36:51 AM »
Thanks for the info gendoc! I will let u know if n it follows me home!!
                   Kaveman

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 02:29:25 PM »
I know .444Marlin cases often fit 410 chambers pretty well. Has anyone tried fire-forming  (NOT shooting 444s in it, please) the 444 cases in one of these (NOT in a std 410)to get full case/neck expansion and finding a .45ish cal. bullet that fits the neck to help 'aid' that long jump?
NOTE: the above is advanced reloading techniques not to be attempted by the beginner.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 03:25:56 PM »
I know .444Marlin cases often fit 410 chambers pretty well. Has anyone tried fire-forming  (NOT shooting 444s in it, please) the 444 cases in one of these (NOT in a std 410)to get full case/neck expansion and finding a .45ish cal. bullet that fits the neck to help 'aid' that long jump?
NOTE: the above is advanced reloading techniques not to be attempted by the beginner.

Do a search on the 450 Mongo, that's exactly what it's all about, there are a bazillion threads on it here and all over the net.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 05:08:34 PM »
Just about the time I think I may have an original thought I find out there is' nothing new under the sun'. Oh well, not the first (or, Im sure) the last time..........
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline J. J. Magnum

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 05:12:18 AM »
I added a front sight and a scope rail to my 45/410 Survivor and have had decent results. 

As a rear sight I use an XS Sight Systems Ghost Ring Back-up sight.  http://xssights.com/store/rifle.html

Results with both 45LC and with 45 Schofield have been acceptable out to the ranges I'm willing to shoot deer sized critters at (certainly better than with the 410 slugs or buckshot).

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 05:53:17 AM »
That peep on the rail is a very good set up if you can stand to have a front ramp & sight that high (I sure can for the versitality it offers). NECG offers a peep sight that mount on a Weaver type rail (and one for the Rugers too) that is quite nice.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Duckdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 12:38:25 AM »
I've also tapped both of my 410/45 colts for scopes and have had good results. Don't underestimate the 410 in these. I handload 410 and have had excellent esults with 3/4 oz loads on grouse.  That choke not only stops the wad from spinning, but really constricts the shot as well, so the patterns can be just as good as any 410.  I was usually using a 12 ga pardner for grouse, but after getting a 45 LC carbine barrel, I took a scope off of one of these and decided to try it on close range grouse and was pleasantly surprised.

I think the best I was getting for groups was in the range of 2" to 3" @ 75 yards, but I'm sure i could have fine tuned the loads more if I would have worked at it.