Author Topic: 357 sb1  (Read 615 times)

Offline kawie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
357 sb1
« on: November 07, 2010, 08:34:32 AM »
i have the 357 talo handi.ive used the hornady LE 140gr an they showed promise before scope went.thing is i got about 1/3 of the brass had peirced primers.my buddy gave me a bunch of reloads an i have the same promblem with them.the only factory ammo that ive found that is a 100% so far is the magtech 158 JHP (almost 70 rounds without pierced primers).im also haveing good luck with the PMC bronze ammo in the 158 gr JFP(25 rounds an no failure yet)im thinking this will be my hunting load.ive done a search an most say to use small rifle primers but what causes this with the sb1 reciever an what can i do to fix this.i dont want to send it back right now cause hunting season is almost here.i dont reload right now so switching primers isnt an option.gun smiths are like hens teeth around here.not sure what to do.is it safe to shoot with the PMC an magtech.couple of the dealers around here tell me im having presure issues but i dont think thats it.
thanks
Kawie

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 357 sb1
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:58:43 AM »
Make sure the firing pin is smooth and rounded, it could have a defective pin. With the action open, cock the hammer, pull the trigger while lowering the hammer all the way, keep the trigger pulled to the rear while doing this, the firing pin will stick out of the breech face as long as the trigger is held back, you can then get a good look at the firing pin and also measure how far it sticks out past the breech face, it should be ~.040-.050" or so.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline kawie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:35:22 AM »
i just looked at it like you said.looks smooth an rounded but i did notice that it looks like it points down towards the hinge.
Kawie

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 09:42:50 AM »
They all point down, the firing pin isn't inline with the bore.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/documents/manuals/new/Handi-Rifle.pdf

Offline kawie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 10:48:16 AM »
thanks tim.
everything looks good  from what i can guess looks to be about an 1/8 inch coming out.
Kawie

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 10:53:48 AM »
As Jamie says on Mythbusters, "Well there's your problem"!!  ;D If it really is 1/8", that's about double what it should be, that's .125", 1/16" = ~.0625", I'd shoot the ammo that works for now, then if you want it fixed send it to H&R for repair unless you shorten the firing pin or change the hammer yourself or have a smith do it.

Tim

Offline kawie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »
i was taking a guess as i have no way of measuring it but i did compare it to my sons 30-30 handi an it looks the same.
Kawie

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 11:37:33 AM »
If it seems about the same and you havent been having problems lately with factory ammo then maybe its 'cured'. I would question making a determination based on someone elses reloads.
When you get time, make up 5 or 10 of your own and give it a go, then change primers if you need by using those with harder cups, trying a few as you go. Once you get the winning combination you can feel better about making a bunch.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974