Author Topic: anyone using pentax scopes  (Read 1680 times)

Offline possume

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
anyone using pentax scopes
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:31:57 PM »
i was wondering if anyone is using pentax scopes besides me and are you happy with them

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: anyone using pentax scopes
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 03:40:46 AM »
I have a set of Pentax binocs that are 7X50 and the old style.  They are great for watching football because they are clear as a bell and have a wide field of view. 

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 04:13:57 AM »
I have nephew that has one that he likes. I bought one a while back but haven't used it yet. Pentax has had a lot of experience with cameras so I would think they should be OK.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline Huffmanite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 04:42:45 AM »
Yes, I have a 4-12X40 Gameseeker.....good glass.....no problems with it on my 300 Savage Mexican mauser thats had around 80 rounds fired since scope mounted on it about a year ago.

Pentax has a $20 Visa gift card Rebate on Gameseeker models till end of Oct.

Offline possume

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 05:53:53 PM »
thanks i was wondering because i dont ever hear about them and i find them to be exelent

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »
I had one on an Encore 7mm 08 and found the eye relief to be insufficient.  It had relatively good glass, but the reticle was one of those BDC things, and I didn't like it.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 02:57:53 PM »
The BDC reticle that the Gameseekers come with is the big turn off for me.  It's just too much going on and I often overshoot my targets when using them in a hurry. I have missed a couple of deer because of it. I have the 1.5-7x20 mounted on one of my 30-30s.  I love the glass, hate the reticle.

Offline zeke08

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 03:10:31 PM »
If you sent the Pentax scope back would they put regular reticule in it I know I sent a Leupold back and they put different reticule in it changed from duplex to fine.
There are very few problems that can't be solved with the proper application of High Explosives!

If there is trouble let it be in my day, but let my kids have peace. Thomas Pane

NRA Life Member since 09

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 09:39:08 PM »
I went to sight in the ole 03 sporterized with a3 barrel for 180 gr for elk. I was pleasantly surprised to find my 180's and 150's are both printing in same group at 100 yards. When I left things to be about 1.25 inches high at 100yds, all the rest of PP distances were spot on out to 450. love it when a plan comes together. BTW the 2 grooove barrel is doing 3/4moa groups. I do like these scopes for the money. 
Thanks Don

Offline possume

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 06:05:06 PM »
good to here your scope is on ill never use the bdc but couldnt pass up the scope for the money

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 05:07:16 AM »
I've got a Lightseeker 2x8 I really like. I wish it had another 1/4" of eye relief.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Ron/Pa.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 02:47:17 PM »
  I have a 4x12 Gameseeker on my .17 Mossberg 817. Good optics and lined in fine. Agree on the eye relief . Don`t think I would put in on a hefty recoil type rifle....

Offline wyohandi

• Avid Poster
  • NE Wyoming
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 03:05:45 PM »
I have a Gameseeker I put on my 300 SAUM pretty good glass the eye relief is fine for me
I'm pretty sure the little CHRISTmas tree is upside down, for using as an aimpoint for lead or windage
but set on 9-ish power it matches the drop on my 180s within an inch out to 500yds.
I just scribed a line in the power ring so it's the same spot every time I crank it up.
So far it's held up well I think it has been on 3 or 4 different rifles.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 05:21:22 AM »
In my old age I find myself becoming an optics snob of sorts.  I have looked through a couple of Gameseeker models and also some Lightseekers and I feel the Gameseekers fell short of acceptable sight picture, but the Lightseekers were very clear and bright.  Sometimes you do get more for money spent.  I will confess however I don't own any Pentax optics.

Offline possume

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 01:44:54 PM »
everyones eyes are different and ive had 2 identical luepold scopes and one was clear and sharp and the other i couldnot focus to my eyes but my buddy likes it better than the one i use so he bought it and loves it

Offline ejpaul1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 06:12:33 PM »
I had a 3-9x40 gameseeker on a mossberg atr 270. I dont like the BDC they have,mostly just because it is just kinda distracting my view. The eye relief is lacking. I had it on a 7mm mag, cut my eye open, then stuck it on this 270. It is just about right. My sister came back from iraq and wanted her own rifle for hunting, gave this to her and it fits her like a glove. She says it kicks more than her M-16 but its more accurate. I have no idea, I am not an m-16 guy. Anyway, she likes the scope. EJ

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 06:54:51 AM »
just got back from elk hunting and my scope was off by 3"left and 2" high. Didn't drop or abuse. just was rough road in and out each day, rifle was leaned on seat with butt, or some times muzzle on carpeting of truck. Still shoots less than moa, but moved group. Doesn't shift while shooting, so not recoil moving. Has any one else had this problem with loss of 0 due to less than dropping type of vibration?
Thanks Don.

Offline ejpaul1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 07:11:42 AM »
It happens. It can theoretically happen to any scope. I had that with a few cheaper ones. I havent had it happen with the zeiss and Nikon scopes I now have. The best course of action is to zero at the point of destination before the hunt begins. I cant do that like 99% of the time.