Author Topic: Tracker II question  (Read 881 times)

Offline Glockfan

• Trade Count: (0)
Tracker II question
« on: November 16, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »
i have the opportunity to pick up a 12g Tracker II with a slug barrel and 28" smooth barrel for $200. I feel like this is a pretty good deal. The owner says that the recoil is very stout even using 2 3/4" shells...which i kind of expected being as it is a light gun. I have a .308 Handi, and it is very sensitive to forend pressure. Are the NEF Shotgun's that sensitive as well? I have heard that the Tracker II has excellent accuracy, but I was just curious as to how well it holds accuracy after a barrel swap/etc. Anyway, any experience/advice/knowledge is always appreciated. I was originally  just going to purchase a rifled slug barrel for my other handi, but for the cost, I might as well buy a second gun  ;D Let me know if you think this is a good buy and all.

thanks in advance for the advice

dcary7

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: Tracker II question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:43:44 PM »
 Not sure about the accuracy on the Tracker. Neighbor boy has a Pardner 12 smoothy, accuracy is ok. It kicks like crazy with a 3" in it, 2 3/4 not real bad.

Are you getting only the smooth barrel for $200? If so you may want to look around first. That sounds like the price for a used gun not just a barrel. I do know the rifled slug barrels H&R are putting out are really accurate.

I think you should look at the price of a new one! Buds Gun shop $192.00
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=H%26R+tracker&osCsid=2rb5821t88na7ogo81ou9jot07

Lonny

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 05:56:11 AM »
I've got a 20 gauge tracker ll and I've got a Boyd's laminated thumbhole stock on it, and I added some weight to the stock using lead round balls from my muzzleloader.   I had to drill the stock out under the recoil pad, but I can shoot 3" buckhammers all day long and the recoil isn't an issue.

I sold a 12 gauge Tracker ll before I bought the 20 gauge because of the brutal recoil, but never tried the weight in the stock on that one, and I'm sure it would have tamed it had I done so.

Mine is accurate as a lot of my rifles with the buckhammers, but you really have to shoot different slugs to see which ones work the best out of your gun as they aren't all the same.

For the price, if it's a complete gun with extra barrel you can't go wrong, and let us know how she shoots!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »
That's a good deal.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:53:53 AM »
I added about a pound and a half of lead to the stock of my tracker 2 12 gauge and it is now tolerable to shoot.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 10:28:24 AM »
dcary7

Sorry I must have been blind when I read your post. I now realize you are talking about a tracker II with rifled barrel and extra barrel. Forgive my miss reading.

That said, does sound like a good deal.

Lonny

Offline Glockfan

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 04:44:36 PM »
Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear before in the OP. Complete gun with extra barrel. Here is the add:

"28" smooth bore with rifle sights added and Undertaker tube, barrel will accept Win-Chokes, 3" chamber.

Slug barrel is rifled and has a 2.5 Simmons shotgun scope mounted, 3" chamber also.

I've taken several deer and turkeys with this gun. Win. Supreme 2 3/4" no. 5 shot patterned well in this barrel.

Slug barrel grouped well with Brenneke KO and Sabot 2 3/4" slugs, under 3" @ 100 yds.

This is a light gun, I've added lead to the butt stock, even with it and 2 3/4" shells recoil is stout! The scope is long eye relief and has never been an issue. Being light it is just the thing to run'n'gun turkeys or stalk deer."

I thought it sounded like a good deal. Just wanted another opinion.

-dcary7

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 08:14:11 AM »
I bought my fully rifled Tracker II a couple of years ago for $75, it had an ejection issue that I fixed and was severely leaded up that is why I got a good deal).  Yes, it does have a STOUT recoil..  It's a good solid gun and dead reliable...  Mine shoots well (under 3" at 100 yds with 5 shots) and isn't real sensitive on the forearm pressure...that said when I install the forearm I run the screw down to contact is made and add 1/4 turn....

Hope this helps,

LM
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »

It sounds like he's giving you the scope too. If so I'd say it's a great deal. The rings run $20 or so plus the scope? Yep, I'd do it. You can always shoot reduced recoil stuff.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 08:20:37 AM »
I bought a 12ga Tracker II barrel from the classifieds here on GBO tried some hornady SSTs through and recoil was very stout of the bench. Try a bunch of different sabots and also try Buck hammers find what it likes to group the best then sight it in. $200 for the complete gun and an extra barrel sounds like deal to me. Don't forget to ask the seller what he was shooting in it.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga