Author Topic: sightron scopes  (Read 1478 times)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
sightron scopes
« on: December 13, 2010, 02:47:11 PM »
i had a sightron s1 and was happy with it for a year til it broke.  i sent it back and they have to replace it.   they are allowing me to upgrade at my cost for a new one.   since i had problems with the s1 i wanted to upgrade.   their site does not really tell what id different between the sii and the sii big sky?  anyone use these before and any input would be great.  thanks. 

Offline helmickarms

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Helmick Arms
Re: sightron scopes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 11:17:42 AM »
The SII is a great scope and the SII Bigsky is an even better scope. I would compare them as the difference between a Bushnell 3200 and a 4200, or a Nikon Buckmaster and a Monarch or a VX II and a VX III....well you get my point.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 11:27:28 AM »
I have an SII and an SIII.  I would rate the SII to be about the same as a VXII and the SIII the same as a XV3 (not VX-III).  The Big Sky has the same glass as the SIII but with a 1 inch tube where as the SIII has a 30mm tube.

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »
ok what is the difference between a 30mm and a 1" tube?   

Offline helmickarms

• Helmick Arms
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 01:31:44 PM »
A 1" tube is standard here in the US. A 30mm is standard in europe. A 30mm tube is larger than a 1" tube and thus will give you more adjustment than a 1" tube. Not a big deal on a hunting scope...but huge on a target scope. Some say 30mm tubes are brighter than a 1' tube although I believe that to be debateable. Scopes with 30mm tubes also cost more.

My opinion is a 1" tube is all you need on a hunting rifle where you sight it in and forget it. If your a knob turner looking to shoot long distances a 30mm tube is the way to go.

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 03:02:22 PM »
Sorry to hear about your luck, at least they are making it right.

I've owned two SIII Sightrons.  Both had better (although that is very subjective) glass than my Leupold Mark 4s, and both were repeatable and tracked well.  I still own the 6-24x50 LRMD.  Good luck.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »
In addition to more adjustment with the 30 mmm tube, they are also said to be more durable which is why you see some low power dangerous game scopes with 30mm tubes.  I agree with the above post that you really don't need a 30mm tube unless you are adjusting your knobs allot for long range shooting.  No need if you set it once and then don't touch it again.

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 04:21:38 PM »
thanks for the info. 

Offline klt1986

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
I have a Sightron S2 on my T/C Omega and have been very happy with it.  IMO it compares very well with a Leupold VX-II.

Offline Ron/Pa.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 04:05:08 PM »
   What happened to your S1? I have one on my Remington Pump. It is probably 4-5 yrs. old. The  up and down Dial plate is loose and the top adjustment seems to not have the definite adjustment clicks like it used to. Don`t know if this is a warrenty issue or not? Really like the scope. It seems brighter than my Nikon Pro-Staff.

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 10:16:46 AM »
when i went to adjust the magnification the cross hairs rotated.  i have no idea what would cause that but i sent it back and told them i was not comfortable putting an S1 back on a hunting rifle again and they are allowing me to trade up on a new one.  i am just not sure if i should go for the 3x9 in the sII or go with a higher power scope.  it is either going on a 223,243 or 270win?   

Offline helmickarms

• Helmick Arms
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 11:10:51 AM »
I am surprised to hear that your SI had mechanical trouble, however I doubt there is a manufacturer out there that doesn't have a problem with their product from time to time no matter what it is. At least Sightron is standing behind their product for you....more than I can say for some others out there.

I own a bunch of rifles and thus I own a bunch of scopes by a lot of different makers. I would have to say that of all the makers out there, I think it's pretty tuff to beat a Sightron for the money. Nikon is another that offers a good value for the dollar but they cannot compete in optical quality to the corresponing Sightron lines. I have one SI, one SII, two SII Bigskys, and two SIII's and they are all great scopes. I doubt very much that you will be dissapointed with which ever one you choose to go with.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 04:06:51 PM »
Nikon is another that offers a good value for the dollar but they cannot compete in optical quality to the corresponing Sightron lines.

I can't speak specifically about Sightron's rifle scopes, but my experience with their spotting scopes is directly opposite.  A couple of years back I was looking for a spotting scope in the $500 range, and ended up doing a side-by-side comparison in the back lot of the sporting goods store (about a 200yd open field) with among others a Sightron SII 20-60 (retail about $600 or so at the time) and a Nikon Prostaff 16 - 48 x 65 (about $450).

I was surprised at how poor the Sightron's clarity was, especially for the price.  It had a fat, fuzzy, purple fringe around everything, and was somewhat dark to boot.  It was so bad I thought for sure it was a bad scope (display model after all...) so I had them bring out an unopened scope, and it was just as bad.  The Nikon was very crisp, clear, and bright - it was so much better than all of the other brands I had to compare that it came home with me instead of a Leopold, Burris, Bushnell or Sightron.

I'm just sayin'

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 08:04:45 AM »
ok i just need to figure out what power to get.   3x9 4.5x14 or 4x16 in the sII.   i am not sure what gun it is going on yet 270,243 or 223.   i know for most use the 3x9 would be fine but if i ever wanted to use it for target or if i ever get to be a good shot maybe some longer range.  i think there is a $130 difference between the two.   what are the pros and cons between these scopes.  the only drawback i can see is the higher power ones have a shorter eye relief.  thanks again

Offline helmickarms

• Helmick Arms
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 05:01:57 AM »
I think you will need to figure out which gun it is going on, to decide which one to buy. For big game hunting the 3x9 would be the prefered scope. If it is going on a varmint rifle used for small targets like praire dogs the 4x16 would be prefered. Just remember that as you move up in the power spectrum your eye relief reduces as well as your field of view. The size and weight of the scope usually increases with larger power settings as well...not a big deal on a varmint rifle but not ideal on a deer rifle.

It's my opinion that all three of your rifles should have their own scope for whatever you intend to use the rifle for. Only you will be able to make this decision.

Good luck

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 04:26:13 AM »
thanks again.   i just went with the 3x9 and figured if i got to the point if actually being able to hit something at long ranges i will looking into a bigger scope.