Author Topic: 1st Deer with the Wolverine  (Read 929 times)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
1st Deer with the Wolverine
« on: October 31, 2010, 01:29:50 AM »
Yesterday ended early Muzzleloader season in Maryland.  I was only able to get out twice.  The first time yielded this 4-pointer.  I was hunting a corner of an alfalfa field.  I saw him enter from the woods about 150 yards to my left at about 10:00.  At a quick pace, he moved across my front from left to right, stopping every so often to sniff.  I waited unti he was about 75-80 yards at 12:00 and hit him just behind the right front shoulder.  He ran back into the woods for about 25 yards before crashing to the ground.

I was using a 50 Cal. Wolverine mounted with a 3X9X40 Bushnell Banner on Leupold Rifleman rings.  The load was 100 grains of Triple 7 and a Knight Red Hot 300 gr hp.

Yesterday I watched a 6-pointer walk around in front of my stand for about 20 minutes.  At one point coming within about 25 yards.  We're limited to only one buck during the early season, so I just watched until he wondered off.

Bagged one and saw another.  It was fun.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: 1st Deer with the Wolverine
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:21:22 AM »
  That will do. My 1st big M-L outing will be in IL the weekend of the 19th or so. I have the Knight all sighted in & ready to go.
NRA, Veteran

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:05:22 AM »
Great!  Keep us posted. 

Good luck to Ya'.

;)

Offline Maryland Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 03:57:09 PM »
EVOC,

Very cool. I'm in MD too. Great job on the buck. Looks like a real nice body on him. I hunted the first three days (buck or doe), didn't see anything but very small does, let them all pass. The following Friday (doe only) I only saw bucks! Saturday, I was able to get three nice does that morning.

I use a American Knight, with a 300gr XTP. I still have my Wolverine LK-93, great shooting gun. I took many deer with the Wolverine, back when we couldn't have scopes. When scopes were allowed partial season, I got the American Knight and scoped it for late season, kept the LK with sights for early season. When it went to scopes all around, I semi-retired the Wolverine, but I recently pulled it out and have plans to scope it as a backup gun. Both guns are awesome. I converted both to the 209 Full Plastic Jacket system. Very simple and effective.

Again, congrats on the buck!

MH

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 12:31:29 AM »
Maryland Hunter:

Appreciate the info.  This is only my second season hunting with a muzzle loader, although I've been hunting for close to 40 years.

A hunting buddy introduced me to the Wolverine.  I was a surprised at how well it shot. 

Looking forward to the late season.

Good luck!

:)