Author Topic: 357 max primers??  (Read 453 times)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
357 max primers??
« on: November 16, 2010, 01:48:04 PM »
i have a question for primers in the 357max for an h&r handi rifle.    i am using the H110 powder and have seen guys using small rifle primers.   i the lee book i have says to use small pistol primers.    what is the difference in primers?   i have small pistol, small pistol mag, small rifle and small rifle bench rest primers.   what are the concerns or benefits if any when experimenting with different primers?   is one better for hunting loads?  thanks again.

Offline JRiddle

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 357 max primers??
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 06:20:08 PM »
My Hornady manual calls for sr...that being said, all I use is winchester sr primers for my max burning w296, in 14" contender.  I would think that a sp primer would probably work, but I would think you'd have a much higher chance of burn-thru...sp primer has lighter/thinner metal, and fullhouse max gets pretty hot.
JR
"Give me Liberty...or I'll get up, and get it myself."

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:50:57 PM »
I agree, go with the SR primers. They have a more durable, thicker cup. Better suited the the pressures of the maxi.

I use mostly REM SR MATCH, simply because I have an abundance of them. But STD SR primers are just as good.
I have been shooting and loading for the Maxi since it came out! In Contenders, a Ruger, a Contender Carbine and a H&R handi. It's one of my favorite calibers.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 01:20:13 AM »
I began with my barrel on a shotgun receiver, with a large firing pin, and immediately had primer perforation.  I went to SR primers and no more problem.

I have since maxed the barrel, and moved it to an SB2 receiver, but I still shoot the SR primers.  As a matter of fact, I got a deal on some, and have used them with success even in 38 special in a revolver.

Anytime you change primers or any component in your reloads, you should work up loads...even when changing powder lots esp. if you are near max. loads.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:57:52 AM »
thanks again guys i will just stick with the sr primers.