Author Topic: Coehorn Guidance  (Read 914 times)

Offline hndgunfan

• Trade Count: (0)
Coehorn Guidance
« on: November 15, 2010, 09:41:50 PM »
Hello Folks,
I am brand new to the board and am totally hooked. I want a popcan coehorn mortar, and am looking for guidance in the right direction. Where is the best place to buy? I have access to a 400 yard range, what kind of distance and accuracy can one expect from one? Thanks in advance.
J

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Re: Coehorn Guidance
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 01:04:54 AM »
hndgunfan,

First of all, welcome to this forum and to the wonderful experience of making smoke and flame.  There is a sticky at the top of the forum that will guide you to the sponsors of this site.  All of the makers in that list are good folks.  I personally have a golf ball mortors from Dominiq Carpenter, Irishman and armorer77.  I have been very pleased with each of them.  So you will have a wide selection to suite your tastes and budget.

Just get a hold of the folks and talk to them.  They will be more than happy to help you.

There is also a classified board that you can find at the top of the main canon board page.  At times there are some good deals to have that will be listed there.

Now I will let those more learned that myself get to the rest of the question but I do have a warning.  These things are addictive and tend to multiply faster that those hampsters my kids used to have.

Good luck and again...welcome.

Sparky

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 03:42:29 AM »
As  Brokenpole said , check with our sponsors they will help you find what need.   I have a  Pop can Dictator from  Dom Carpenter and it is awesome. Here is a link to the sponsor post.  GBO Sponsors

I have shoot a good number of cement filled pop cans from it.  I have a mould that I cast pop can size round zinc balls from.   The round balls shoot a lot better and a lot more accurately.  The mould is at a metal casters right now  and available to any one who wants some round ball for there pop can mortar.  You can order as many as you want 1 or what ever. What is nice about the zinc round balls is they can be recovered and reshot.  Here a link to the post on how to get some round balls.  GBO Group buy Popcan size zinc round balls

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 12:42:36 PM »
hndgunfan --

WELCOME to the board!

400 yds is plenty for a beer-can caliber mortar.

With a bore that is about the length of the can  you can expect to get 100 to maybe 200 yards (with the wind) with cement filled cans.  (130 yards is realistic)

I have seen a mortar (more like a Lyle Gun) with a 24" tube do 400 yards with 1/2 length cement filled cans with very small charges.

I prefer the shorter ranges - you still get the 8-10 seconds air-hang time and get to see and hear the round hit (snapping off tree branches just before the thud).

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline hndgunfan

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 02:28:14 PM »
Will the Coehorn from Hern fire a popcan?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 02:33:46 PM »
The stated bore diameter on Hern's web site is 2 1/4".  A Red Bull can may fit that but not a regular 12 oz can (2.59" dia.)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline madboom

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 05:42:30 PM »
Hern's does have a 3" coehorn.  I bought one recently with the hardware kit. Working on putting the sled bed together at the moment.  Fired mortar 7 times.  Furtherest shot went about 200 hundred yards with 1 1/2 oz of 1f.  Used veggie cans filled with concrete and attached a streamer.  The blast is big and has lots of smoke! Have fun!

Mike 

Offline keithinvestigations

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 01:38:21 AM »
Hey Mike.  I just ordered a 3" Coehorn from Hern.  How long did it take you to get it once they received funds?  How did you drill your vent hole?  Did you do a vent liner?

I also ordered the hardware and plans from Hern.  Price was a little steep but I decided with the money I am saving with their mortar why not. 
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 03:48:27 AM »
Hi George, The Hern came with a measured bore of 2.3", guess they are building in windage.  Many of the new aluminum soft drink cans (7.5oz) are a perfect fit, filled with cement they weigh 10oz.  Thanks for all your help when I was building mine!
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline keithinvestigations

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 04:18:53 AM »
Hern's does have a 3" coehorn.  I bought one recently with the hardware kit. Working on putting the sled bed together at the moment.  Fired mortar 7 times.  Furtherest shot went about 200 hundred yards with 1 1/2 oz of 1f.  Used veggie cans filled with concrete and attached a streamer.  The blast is big and has lots of smoke! Have fun!

Mike  

Hey Mike, did you put in a vent liner?
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson