Author Topic: I found some nice guns. more pictures and some info.  (Read 1095 times)

Offline oyvind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I found some nice guns. more pictures and some info.
« on: November 15, 2010, 05:41:14 AM »
Has been on a trip this weekend. I found some nice guns.

Guns, 1700-odd Danish / Norwegian bronze cannons, the damage caused by machine guns from the German planes 9 April 1940. This is partly described in Cato Guhnfeldts book "Fornebu April 9," p. 212 The guns were then at the Prince Carl's bastion, that is the bastion that is closest Stallgården where guns now stands.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Has been on a trip this weekend. I found some nice guns.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 06:49:01 AM »
oooh, aaah....thanks oyvind.

Tell us more!  Show us more!!!

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:58:55 PM »
Thanks - I agree with DD - we need details and more pictures, if you have any more!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 07:44:02 PM »
Great pictures. Thankyou for sharing. Just like taking a trip and never leaving the house.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »
Thanks for your post, Oyvind; good pics.

The first, second, third, fourth, and fifth photos are of 18th century Danish bronze 12?-pounders with elephant head lifting handles; one is showing the cypher of King Christian VII on the reinforce, while the other bears a portrait of the same King on its reinforce. See pp. 29-30 in the following book.  
Naval guns: 500 years of ship and coastal artillery By Hans Mehl, Rudolf Roth

Oyvind,
Are some of these artillery pieces located at the Orlogsmuseum in Copenhagen?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: I found some nice guns. more pictures and some info.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 08:24:07 PM »
That's an interesting elevation mechanism on this bronze howitzer.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 01:01:51 AM »

Interesting method of controlling recoil.  Do you have anymore information about this gun and carriage?
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 03:38:08 AM »

Interesting method of controlling recoil.  Do you have anymore information about this gun and carriage?

I wonder if it was for controlling recoil.  My first impression was a mechanism to get the gun back into battery quickly.  Second was that maybe the gun was retracted until in action, then levered into battery.  In any case, it is quite clever.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 04:06:00 AM »

Mike and I also like this gun and particularly the carriage a lot.  Any further information on it's previous location would be much appreciated.

It seems to us that it's low stature suggests a fortress location, probably in a casemate, the tube within an embrasure.  the V-shaped tongue at the front suggests this was a casemate carriage tied to a pintle-pin within the masonry under the embrasure opening.  For this display, the forward wrought iron A-frame with integral wheels about 1/2 the size of the rear traverse wheels has been replaced with a thick walled pipe section which IS NOT the carriage pivot point.  The forward wheels would have been set at a much smaller radius and ridden on a track or plate set into the casemate floor.  This is a front pintle, traversing carriage designed for a casemate application.

The really unique part of this carriage is the design of the recoil and return to battery features.  We studied this picture quite a bit, and have come to the conclusion that this carriage that we call the 'locust carriage' because of the shape, can only work during the recoil cycle if a sturdy roller with a central V-groove lies under the tube, supported by the massive yoke in the area of, but NOT supporting the trunnions.  Only with this configuration of parts does the split-trail recoil reducing ramps make any sense.  If the yoke was a 'Trunnioin Yoke', then the tube supported by the 45 degree back brace and bolster supporting the quoin and the tube's breech could not recoil up those ramps!  It would be rigidly held in place.  The roller held in position by the massive 60 degree yoke is the only explanation that seems to work for us.  Anybody else have hardware in mind which would allow this piece to function during recoil?

As for the 'Return-to Battery', that must have been one ear-piercing, CLANK!! as all that mass stopped instantly at the bottom of the hill!

This is all conjecture and not presented as established fact.  What do you think?

Tracy and Mike

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 04:32:08 AM »

Is this a breechloader?

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 08:38:35 AM »
That type carriage is pictured on page 58 of "A History of Artillery" by Ian Hogg.  An apparent experimental carriage built to control recoil. The gun was discussed in a thread here earlier this year. It is a breech loader. 
Max

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 08:43:05 AM »

Someone posted several photo's of this gun earlier this year from the rear showing the breech
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 10:06:18 AM »

Unknown gun #7 - Forsvarsmuseet, Oslo, Norway.

Knut Erik Hagen took these photos in March, 2004 at the Forsvarsmuseet (Armed Forces Museum), at Akershus Castle, in Oslo.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 10:47:20 AM »
Yep That's them!  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »
Be interesting to see what the gear/spocket on the right side engages.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 05:59:16 AM »
Are any of them eligible for adoption?  ;D
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff