Author Topic: I'm having trouble getting my H&R 20g Ultra Slug to group well  (Read 1515 times)

Offline LeviSS

• Trade Count: (0)
I'm having trouble getting my H&R 20g Ultra Slug to group well
« on: November 23, 2010, 03:16:07 PM »
I bought one of these after hearing about how accurate they are.  It is the ultra light with the lighter barrel and synthetic stock.  I've tried several slugs including, but not limited to, Hornady SST, 2 3/4" and 3" Accutip, 3" Federal Barnes Expander, Copper Solids, Winchester BPI.

The best groups were with the 3" accutip, but I'm still getting 3" groups at 50 yards.  It's getting pretty expensive to find accuracy.  I'm shooting off of a solid bench with front rest and rear bag, using the correct hold for shooting a slug gun from a bench.  I'm using a Nikon Slug Hunter for optics.  I can shoot 1" groups with my rifles, so I'm pretty sure it's not me.

When I got it, I ran a bore snake through it several times.  I know this isn't the best cleaning method, but figured it would get it good enough to get shooting.  I don't have a 20g shotgun rod.  Could it need a thorough cleaning?

One thing I've noticed is that the entire right side of the forearm is touching the barrel, so you can't slide a piece of paper between it.  The left side will allow paper to slide the entire way.  I'm thinking that could be part of it.

The trigger is good enough for a heavier trigger.  It breaks very clean with no creep.  I don't think it is causing any problems.

Do they have to be broken in?

Any suggestions?  I'm wondering if getting the barrel floated would help much.  Tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: I'm having trouble getting my H&R 20g Ultra Slug to group well
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 07:53:44 PM »
Take the forearm off and shoot it. Is it hard to open too? If the forearm is too tight it can cause accuracy problems too. The forearms are kind of an easy fix... more of a pain in the butt than anything.

Spanky

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 03:03:08 AM »
Oil on the latch shelf and latch can cause accuracy problems as well. I have 20 ga Tracker II's and they are difficult at best to shoot off the bench. The recoil gets unpleasant after 4-5 shots and my shooting deteriorates after that 4-5 shot volley.

Like Spanky says try shooting without the forend, also when reinstalling maybe an O-ring installed (to kinda float the barrel) according to the FAQ's might help along with just a slight pressure on the fastening screw. Too much torque on that screw can and does cause problems. Keep posting back and we'll help you solve this. All of ours seem to prefer the Winchester Partition Gold 3" sabots.

Offline chillydigits

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gene Pool narrowing...Think about it
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 07:35:36 AM »
My 20 gauge USH's both prefer slugs with a muzzle velocity under 1600FPS, Lightfield 2.75 inch, Remington 2.75 copper solids and Federal 2.75 barnes expanders. With the federals producing the best results...
We have to kill these animals or else they will die, That makes us enviromentalists.

Offline LeviSS

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 11:04:36 AM »
Take the forearm off and shoot it. Is it hard to open too? If the forearm is too tight it can cause accuracy problems too. The forearms are kind of an easy fix... more of a pain in the butt than anything.
Spanky

No, it opens and closes pretty easy and seems to lock up nicely.  How do you hold it down and tight with the fore-end off?

Oil on the latch shelf and latch can cause accuracy problems as well. I have 20 ga Tracker II's and they are difficult at best to shoot off the bench. The recoil gets unpleasant after 4-5 shots and my shooting deteriorates after that 4-5 shot volley.

Like Spanky says try shooting without the forend, also when reinstalling maybe an O-ring installed (to kinda float the barrel) according to the FAQ's might help along with just a slight pressure on the fastening screw. Too much torque on that screw can and does cause problems. Keep posting back and we'll help you solve this. All of ours seem to prefer the Winchester Partition Gold 3" sabots.

It's possible that there was excess oil on the shelf when pulling the bore snake through, although I don't recall seeing it.  The fore-end screw was pretty snug when I took it off the first time.

Thanks for the help.  I'll try to shoot it some this weekend, although I'm about out of slugs and people don't have much of a selection around here after the first deer season.

I like the gun, it's still more accurate than what I've hunted with up until this point.  The only thing that bothers me is I've already had a FTF while pulled up on a doe...not something you want.  I've read a bunch about it and it seems the falling block may be the problem with the trigger not being fully back when the hammer drops...not sure.  It was a Federal Barnes and it seems the primers are set deeper than the Accutips.  There was just a little dimple on it.  It doesn't fill me with confidence, though.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 11:13:04 AM »
Any oil on the latch or latch shelf is bad, not just excess oil, they should be clean and dry, please read the Handi Basics 101 in the FAQs, it applies to all H&R single shots.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »
FTF could have been from not keeping the trigger pulled back. +1 on chillydigits suggestion try the slower slugs my 20ga USH likes the 2 3/4 buckhammers
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline LeviSS

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 05:11:05 AM »
Ok...the latch shelf did have oil on it.  I cleaned it up well.

I'm going to try to get a nylon washer today...I'm sure someone in my family has one.  I'm not so sure that it will solve my problem because the forearm touches on the right side the almost the whole length.  The forearm is pretty snug and takes a little effort to remove.  I'm thinking about trying the washer and seeing if it does help, but if that doesn't keep it from touching I'm thinking I'll have to sand the forearm a little.

Sound like a plan?  I can't really hurt anything from sanding it a little can I?  Tips?

Then if it stops raining, maybe I'll shoot it a little this weekend.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 05:18:32 AM »
See the FAQs, lots of help for doing what you want.  ;)

Tim

Offline LeviSS

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 05:28:38 AM »
See the FAQs, lots of help for doing what you want.  ;)

Tim

Thanks.  I've looked through them a couple times.  I guess I'll go through them again.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 06:01:39 AM »
Use the page search for forend, I think most are in the Accurizing section.

Tim

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 11:13:51 AM »
I know its hard for a guy who can shoot 1' groups off a bench at 100 yd. with a rifle to accept 3' at 50 from a slug gun, but.......have you been getting those 1' groups from a gun with that many ft.lb. of recoil? That heavy recoil impulse will completely mess me up! I do as well or better, from a field position (how you will be hunting anyway) or offhand with heavy hitters. unless you are shooting in slug-gun matches dont get too hung up on the benchrest group size. 
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974