Author Topic: Large Mountain Lion see in Yreka!  (Read 658 times)

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Large Mountain Lion see in Yreka!
« on: July 14, 2004, 08:26:20 AM »
The word is out that a large Mountain Lion has been seen about Yreka.  There has been a number of sightings.  The other night the P.D. was in my brother's backyard looking for the Lion after a neighbor had spotted the cat and called police.  My brother had seen the cat a day or two earlier.

The cat has also been seen near a shopping area during the day by a shopper.  The Shopper said the cat did not seemed concern about people.  This make me wonder if this cat had been somebody's pet?  Over the years I have run into two or three people with pet Mt. Lions.  Years ago I was out in the woods when I encountered a guy out running his pet lion.

So what happens to the home owner who shots a Mt. Lion in his backyard?

Do you let the kids go out in the backyard after dark to pickup a forgot toy or feed the dog?  Come fall and it cools off do you send the wife out to the woodpile for some wood? :wink:

Now that rural California is rapidly disappearing what is a law abiding sole to do.  Discharge your firearm, or bow, or toss a spear at the Lion and you are likely to go to jail and have you weapon destroyed, your home searched for other weapons, and the Mt. Lion Foundation sending you hate mail.

I was told that the Fish and Game missed a shot at this Lion.  If a citizen misses a shot there might be hell to pay.  Almost as bad as getting the darn thing.  

:?:
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 10:32:49 AM »
Siskyou,
I know your dilema.  Around here its "shoot up, shovel up and shut up.
(if it doesn't break any of the ten commandments).
James

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 11:20:39 AM »
Siskiyou,

Six years ago a farmer that lived down the road from me used to run sheep and he killed a Mountain Lion that he caught hanging around his sheep holding corral.  He called F&G and they took the report and nothing ever came out of the incident.  Not long ago I had to stop my truck because a large Tom Lion was in the road.  I was only about 20 feet from him and he just looked me over and crossed the road at a very leisurely pace.  Mountain Lions that live close to humans don’t seem to fear man.  Just a week or so ago the news reported a Mountain Lion following a woman as she backed away from the lion.  According to the report the cat followed her for quite a distance(over 200 yards) after she came across it while out walking in a field behind the housing tract she lived in.  In the last month F&G has over 25 documented Mountain Lion sightings, many of them near large populated areas.  My guess is they are getting tired of chasing wildlife and are looking for slower prey.  For me if ones comes around my house he will get his or her ticket canceled.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 12:19:21 PM »
I'am with james and lawdog. Also have access to a backhoe and some "out" of the way property.

Gun Runner

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
large mountain lion
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 12:52:54 PM »
I live on Vancouver island which has the highest density of cougars in NorthAmerica.Some years ago the wolf population exploded on the island and today it is rare to see a deer inthe bush- but they have invaded literally the urban areas, we are seeing deer where  they have never been seen before.When I was a kid , there was a cougar sighting in town about every 5 years, and now not many weeks go by without a cougar sighting.Thankfully, human encounters are rare, but we have had numerous cougar attacks over the years here.One got a deer just down the road fromme, and you could see where he lay in full sight of the road where people walk daily- he obviously did'nt have any fear at all of humans.Probably as long as they have a food supply they won't bother people but when we do have an attack it is generally a young one or an old one that can't get deer.No point in being paranoid, but common sense prevails- if you see one, don't run or turn your back , or bend down to pick up a rock to throw at it, and we also keep the  kids in the house when a cat is arround.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 08:47:09 AM »
ratherbefishin,

and we also keep the kids in the house when a cat is arround.

I just got to ask, how do you know when a lion is around before they attack something or are seen?  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.