Author Topic: blurry target  (Read 866 times)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
blurry target
« on: November 24, 2010, 05:57:52 PM »
i have a sightron s1 scope.  at 100yrds and anything higher than 6power the target seems blurry.   for hunting more than 6x at 100yards  is not needed but when at the range it would be nice to have the extra zoom.   is it normal for a scope to do this?  thanks 

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: blurry target
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 08:40:57 PM »
At what power did you focus your scope? 

I normally hunt with my scope set at the lowest power, but I like to crank it up at the range at times.  I found that focusing the scope at its highest power helps.  Once focused at the high-end the lower powers seem to take care of themselves.

Aging and declining eye sight has taken a toll the last couple of years.  Bifocal glasses are not a shooters friend.  When I was on the job I had three pairs of glasses.  One pair was for shooting and raiding.  I could fish the bifocals out when needed.

I use my spotting scope a lot at the range.  At one time I used my 10X binoculars a lot at the range but the spotting scope is better.  If you have a pair of binoculars take them to the range.

Bushnell
“A: Your riflescope needs to be focused only once-for YOUR eyes. If another shooter uses your scope, it must be refocused for their eyes. The following steps will assist in proper focusing of your riflescope with a traditional style focus ring. If you have a scope with a fast focus eyepiece, skip steps 1, 2 and 9.

1. Grasp the knurled eyepiece lock ring and loosen by turning the eyepiece counter clockwise.
2. Turn the lock ring clockwise about five turns.
3. Look through the scope at a bright background such as the sky or a well lighted wall. (Never look at the sun!) Focusing is easier with the scope mounted on a rifle or some firm object.
4. Turn the eyepiece, counter clockwise, until the reticle appears slightly blurred.
5. Turn the eyepiece, clockwise, until the reticle comes into focus.
6. Look away from the scope for a few seconds. Then look back quickly through the scope. If the reticle appears sharp and clear the instant you place your eye to the scope, the focus has been properly set for your eyes. Try this several times. 7. If the reticle appears fuzzy, or requires a little time to come into sharp focus, further adjustment is needed. Turn the eyepiece clockwise another full turn and repeat STEP 8.
8. Keep doing this until the reticle is sharp the instant you put your eye to the scope.
9. When satisfied with your focus, tighten the lock ring against the eyepiece firmly.”

When I am doing load development I will turn the power up at 100-yards but after that I turn the power to lowest setting to replicate what I see when hunting.  Out to 100-yards I want the widest field of few in case Bucky goes south.  Normally when I am shooting over the Chrony I do not exceed 5X because I want to see the up wire rods.  I have red tape on the rods at six inches above the unit.  I want the crosshairs above the red tape so I do not blow it away.

I use the highest power at 200 yards and beyond.  If buck goes South at that distant I should catch him in the field of view.

As I noted earlier aging has a price at the range.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: blurry target
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 04:16:32 AM »
i have the crosshairs focused but the target seems blurry on the higher power settings.   i was thinking of sending it back to the factory but i just wanted to make sure this is not normal first.  have a happy Thanksgiving everyone.