Author Topic: Got a new 223  (Read 362 times)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Got a new 223
« on: December 04, 2010, 06:54:20 PM »
Went to the shop before work saturday to get a new 223. I was looking at a heavy barrel with handi grip stocks but I just don't like those stocks... they're comfortable but UGLY. he had a fluted 223 synthetic ultra varmint too. Wasn't too crazy about that one either.
Looked at a couple wood stocked 223's... one made in Gardner and the other in Ilion. Gave me a good chance to check 'em out side by side. The Gardner gun seems like it had a little more "love" put into it when it was built. The stocks fit nicely and have some really nice grain and the forearm is just right... the gun opens and closes smooth as silk. Trigger feels nice too. The Ilion gun just didn't have the same feel. The forearm is tight and the spacer isn't centered on the frame... I like 'em to be centered. Because of the tight forearm the gun is harder to open and close. I know it's an easy fix but it's still noticeable when you compare the two guns. All in all it just don't seem like the gun was built with any sense of pride... it's like it was just slapped together while the Gardner gun was built to a higher standard.
Needless to say I bought the Gardner gun. ;)
When I get it scoped (Redfield) I'll shoot for groups and take some pics.

Spanky

Offline Hit or Miss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Got a new 223
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 03:24:35 AM »
Hope it's a winner! 
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: Got a new 223
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 04:19:06 AM »
 Congrats on the new family member. Good comparison report.

Lonny