Author Topic: The obesity problem (too many fat bullets)  (Read 831 times)

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
The obesity problem (too many fat bullets)
« on: December 01, 2010, 03:36:01 PM »
I also love my large handi's ....but.... they are not the only ones I have eyes for. We discussed special orders a while back, and I especially love the 32-20 and absent that, nourish a faint but avid hope that a 327 magnum may someday come about. I found a page from my stacks of stuff on 32-20 that came out when the contender was first chambered for it. In a 10 " test barrel, they listed averages for 5 -5 shot groups, 19 out of 24 loads tested shot under .75 inch @ 25 yards The best load shot .302 @ 25 yards, and 1.710 at 100 yds. A 110 gr Speer JHP 30 cal, 17.5 gr of W680, produced 1811 fps, .451 @ 25, and 1.710 @ 100.
Now, I just picked up a relatively new Accurate powder loading pamphlet, and checked out the 327 stats. ( admittedly, I had got it to look at 500 S&W loads with 5744) and saw 1800 fps with a 71 gr 32 acp bullet from a 5 INCH barrel. A 78 gr lead RN @ 1761 fps. I thought about a new handigrip shorty, 16.5 " barrel, compact scope, one that would shoot 32 S&W, 32 longs, 32 H&R, and 327 Federals. A pound of lead makes 15 bullets for a 500, 90 for a 32.
A pound of powder loads about 200 for a 500 S&W, between 500 and 1000 in a 327, or 2800 in an S&W 32 long. It reminded me that a gun does not have to produce whiplash to be ............hot... :-* :-*
SO, I just had to float one, to keep it in the collective consciousness here....sometimes , even when size matters, think small. After all, there are no reverse reamers that can shrink a 30/30 chamber..........
remember the starfish

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: The obesity problem (too many fat bullets)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 03:45:29 PM »
Of all the different barrel stubs I have done the 32-20 seems to be the hands down favorite.  All of them have shot very well even with light weight barrels, it just seems to be a naturally accurate round in a H&R rifle. Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 05:14:35 PM »
Of all the different barrel stubs I have done the 32-20 seems to be the hands down favorite.  All of them have shot very well even with light weight barrels, it just seems to be a naturally accurate round in a H&R rifle. Larry

You're right on the money Larry. The 32-20 you made for me is just about perfect. Light weight, no recoil, shoots great, etc.
I've got wood stocks and a 4x scope on it and it still only weighs about 5 pounds.
The 32-20 and it's little brother the 25-20 with 20" barrels and BC classic woodwork... that'd be nice wouldn't it?

Spanky

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »
Larry, that 7mm TCU that you cobbled up for me (A work of art, actually) absolutely shoots lights out.  With a RCBS 145 gr GC cast boolit over 13.0 gr of bluedot, fire forming brass, it will shoot just over an inch.  Hornady 154's shoot almost as well.  I hope to check that load out on bambi before the year gets over.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 06:54:43 PM »
That is music to my ears, that is the only one I have done, it did look like a really nice round for the Handi.  I think they really like the lower powered rounds, and that one looked really nice in it.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »

If you really want to shoot those little .30 cal bullets you can always load them in your .30-30 til you get that .32-20. Someone posted on leverguns.com a while back about a trapper's round that was loaded years ago by RP that featured a full patch RN bullet for dispatching fur bearers in a trap.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 05:01:00 AM »
Ive been making up 32-20 equiv. loads for the 30-30 for years......dandy!; now that Trail Boss powder is available it should be the ticket for the bigger case, but I have not had te time to test it. Please, somebody do it!
Manatee, I have thought that very thing ever since they introduced that cartridge. It will do everything the 32-20 will and be better brass and with carbide dies a snap to reload.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline manatee1947

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 01:04:23 PM »
That was my thought too, the case is straight walled, no neck down, and 32-20 brass is thin and bends easily, does not last as long.  Sure, you can load down a 30/30, and I can drive a dump truck and just put 500 pounds in the back but that is not like having my Ford Ranger. ( OK, now the Chevy guys get upset) There are a busload of things I could or would shoot with my 32-20 that I will not shoot at with a 45/70, just too big. Oh well, hope springs eternal. Maybe the handi Gods will listen someday...............
remember the starfish

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 01:28:21 PM »
And if they dont, maybe get a std .30cal barrel, do a stub, chamber with a .30carbine reamer and (trim?) &resize the 327 rimmed brass to .30C? A 1:10-1:12 twist would take all those many .30cal. jacketed and cast bullets. light to heavy. The light ones could be loaded sub-sonic and stabilize with the fast twist; they'd work like the old British Rook& Rabbit cartridges, quiet and efficient.
Only mention it because Im not sure if the 327 chamber straightaway in that bore would work, though Ive heard that some years ago one(?) manufacturer was making their .32H&R Mag barrel on a 'std' 30.cal bore. If the 327 is for .312 bullets that would be OK as I shoot cast lead of that dia. in my '03 Springfield with great success.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 02:08:23 PM »
How about a chamber insert for a 30-06 or 308 barrel chambered for the 32-20? or even a 30 carbine?
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline manatee1947

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 02:24:56 PM »
my contender barrel is a 308 bore and there are no problems whatsoever, the only difficulty is that it takes a different expander plug on your sizer die. If the grooves were cut fairly deep a standard 308 barrel would certainly be no problem pressure wise, the breech would be massive, the face area minute, and the pressure levels in psi terms, medium at most. If I could use it legally on a stock, the contender barrel would be sufficient, but as a handgun, between my eyesight and unsteady grip it is limited. With a scope at about 6-9 power and a stock and sling, it would be the difference between being able to hit a groundhog, and hitting a grey squirrel at say, 60-75 yards.
remember the starfish

Offline manatee1947

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 02:47:55 PM »
I have tried a couple of times to find some, but never was really successful, the problems are the seal, and the freebore or long throat. They are also easy to lose or misplace, unlike a whole barrel, or a gun. It would be soooo easy to just make a barrel for one, they could go on an SB1 frame also, they already make 308 bores , the chamber has no shoulder, headspaces on the rim, so, I will continue to loby ;D ::)
remember the starfish

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 03:22:47 PM »
There have been dozens of chamber adaptors made, each one has it's problems.  Mostly they have no way to extract or eject the round, then you have to deal with the neck portion of the chamber which makes the adaptor too thin at that point, so they skip the neck which leaves a big area for the bullet to jump and rattle around in.  A 32-20 is about .314 diameter, so a 30 carbine would work, but it doesn't have a rim, and that makes it more difficult to deal with.  I did make up a 25 ACP to 25-06 adaptor once.  Larry