Author Topic: What Lube?  (Read 871 times)

Offline CastFANatic

• Trade Count: (0)
What Lube?
« on: November 28, 2010, 06:50:10 AM »
Hello all. I am new to casting and the wealth of information on this site is awesome. I have been tumble lubiing my boolits with a 50/50 mix of LLA and mineral spirits. While it is fast to lube a whole bunch of bullets, the bullets are a little tacky and look plain ugly. I know ugly doesn't affect performance, but to each their own. After listening to me complain about cleaning out seating dies for a couple months my lovely wife decided to surprise me with a new lyman 4500 with the heater for an early b-day present. Talk about excited. Now I am researching bullet lubes to use with this machine. I do not want to make my own lube. After doing my reasearch I have locked onto 3 lubes to try. The reasons I picked these is great reviews, proven results, stay in lube grooves, and availability. I would like your input on thse lubes before I put in my order. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

1. LBT blue
3. Jakes purple Ceresin
4. Carnuba red

-CastFANatic

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: What Lube?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 06:55:47 AM »
Of those three I have only use Veral's LBT Blue lube. It's good and not messy. Prior to getting the LBT Blue most of my bullets were lubed with the RCBS green lube and I like it as well but I now have what is surely a life time supply for me as I don't cast nearly so much as I used to nor shoot as much either.

You won't go wrong with the LBT Blue and Veral is a GBO Sponsor to boot.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline CastFANatic

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:02:03 AM »
Thank you for the info. Once again everybody I ask about a product dealing with cast boolits says to go with LBT. Guess I'll be adding that to my order.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 02:47:01 PM »
I like the Carnauba Red. I've tried  Lyman Orange Magic, RCBS and the Lyman Moly, but get better results with the Carnauba Red.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline CastFANatic

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 04:26:11 PM »
Tom W. Thank you for the reply. What caliber, velocity, etc do you use the carnuba red with? I'm looking for a lube that can go from mild to wild. Will LBT blue or Carnuba  red work with 9mm, 45 colt (normal loads), and 454 casull? Or do I need to have multiple lubes?

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 03:33:47 AM »
I use it on all of my cast bullets now, my .38/357,30-30, 30/06, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .454,  .45 acp and .480 Ruger.

I haven't tried the LBT blue, or loaded any 9mm so I can't offer any feedback on that... I will say that half of my  molds are plain based, and even with stout loads of H 110 or Lil' Gun I don't have any problems.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline CherokeeT

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 09:06:51 AM »
I use Carnauba Red lube for all handgun and rifle CB's.  Works great and is at least half the cost of most commercial lubes.
God Bless America
NRA Life, TSRA, SASS