Author Topic: I Got Sick At Deer Camp  (Read 890 times)

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
I Got Sick At Deer Camp
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »
I hunted all week very hard trying to get on a monster buck that I had the misfortune of snapping a cap at during muzzle loader season.
I spotted him Wednesday evening but could not get a good shot at him so I let him pass.
I woke up on Thursday sick, coughing, sneezing, runny nose and sore throat.
No way I could hunt with all the noise I was making so I stayed in camp trying every remedy I could to get better. Saturday I was not much better but it was a if it's brown it's down day so I hunted the morning on the pipe line right of way. You can see a long ways on the right of way and with all the racket I was making I needed some distance between me and the deer. A buddy who had already limited out sat with me in the pickup with the heater running and glassed the right of way in both directions all morning. Finally at 9:30 we spotted a large at deer which we thought at first must be a buck but it turned out to be one huge doe 123 lbs field dressed. We slipped out of the truck and down the slope to a ranged 387 yards where we ran out of cover. The wind was real light and in our faces I backed up against a sapling pine tree and adjusted my shooting sticks settled the rifle in and turned up the scope to max and set the AO. My buddy checked the yardage again and said "shoot her in the head don't waste any meat".
I looked over at him trying not laugh which would have started a coughing fit, and whispered "yeah right" He said "you can do it just take the shot"
I pulled out my dope sheet and adjusted the scope, settled into the stock put the crosshairs in the middle of her noggin and touched off the shot. The doe just dropped like a limp dish rag the impact was about an inch forward of my aim point ,but was still very effective.
I can't recall ever making a shot with that much pressure on me, my buddy was jumping up and down slapping me on back and whoopin it up like kid. In camp that evening he told the story many times sometimes with great embellishments I would have helped but my throat was raw and my voice very raspy  ;D My friends and I toasted my doe and the shot, them with good whiskey and me with my Nyquil  ;)

Pat

" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: I Got Sick At Deer Camp
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 01:53:21 PM »
 Holy crap! what Howitzer you shooting?

Oh yeah nice job! With that kind of range, I guess you could call it your Hell Mary deer ;)

Lonny

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 02:15:23 PM »
Congrats on a great shot and hope you get over your cold soon.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:13:45 AM »
So sorry you got sick and hope you are feeling much better.  What a great story.  The one you couldn't tell!  Nice shooting.  What pressure?  Make it or be "The Goat".  Hell, that isn't pressure when the inside of your noggin is trying to be on the outside and you would cough up a lung except that would alert the deer.  LOL!!!