Author Topic: Oil on scope rings?  (Read 507 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Oil on scope rings?
« on: December 08, 2010, 07:22:29 AM »
Going through some rifle and scope changes this year, swapping them on different guns as the need arose.  Noticed something odd on the ring surface where it grabs the scope body.  I had to remove 2 scopes from low recoil rifles, a .22 rim-fire and a .223.  They were both put on 8 years ago, I was careful to degrease everything with rubbing alcoholic when they were installed, only put light oil wipes on the top of the scope rings over the years, left them dry to make sure no oil could seap in.

When I took the scopes off there was an oil film on the surfaces, where did that come from?  If I had had these on a hard kicking rifle there would have been slippage problems.  What do I need to do to prevent this in the future, take the scopes off every 3-4 years for degreasing?  Perhaps oil mist from a spray can?  Was always careful pointing the sprayer away from the scope, and I usually use only a liquid from a squeeze bottle. 

Anyone have this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks.

Offline 351 power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Oil on scope rings?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:35:34 AM »
i don't think you can keep oil from seeping in. but if the rings were initially tight enough the scope shouldn't move. take them to the range to find out
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are