Author Topic: Need opinions on rim cut repair  (Read 1293 times)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Re: Need opinions on rim cut repair
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2010, 11:28:48 AM »
Thanks gentlemen for all the replies.  I didn't post my issue to scare somebody away from doing their 357.  As stated, I may or may not have cut the rim deeper, but the eyes are not what they used to be after cataract surgery.  If you go slow and use a magnifier you'll be ok. 

I have thought of the idea of machining a shim, but I don't have access to a lathe at this point.

Thanks again,
Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 11:46:32 AM »
Well Bobby, how are you at reading a micrometer or dial caliper? If you can spec the size OD and ID and thickness you want there may be hope here yet.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 04:45:39 PM »
Well, gcrank1, I should/better be fairly proficient at it, been training them youngen's to readem for about 25yrs. ;)  What do you have in mind, a little spacer with the ID and OD of the rim cut at just the right thickness?  Probably about .010-.012, I would have to do some measurements to be sure.  It would take some skilled machining for sure.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 04:53:34 PM »
The problem with a shim is that it would need to be soldered in.  To do it properly you would probably need to cut the rim deeper first, solder in the shim, then cut the rim depth properly.  Fitting a .010 thick shim would be difficult.  It will not stay in by it's self because of the extractor cut.  If this works, take some pictures for us.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2010, 01:20:34 AM »
Although I have never done one, you can likely stop cutting the maxi chamber several thousanths before you touch the rim and be just fine.  I would start checking the fit about .010 inch out.  Larry

That's how I did mine.  I had some brushed some dykem layout fluid in the factory rim cut - as an indicator, but checking cartridge depth frequently, I was done before the reamer ever touched the factory cut.