Author Topic: led flash lights.  (Read 898 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
led flash lights.
« on: November 05, 2003, 04:50:29 PM »
I have been seeing more and more led flash lights and "head lamps" targeted to hunters.
So tonight I went to wal-mart and bought a Brinkmann Reble led flashlight.
 this one came with 3 lenses 1 red, 1 amber, 1 blue and 2 AA batterys and a belt strap for $15.00.  
when I got home and compared it to my 2 D cell flash light and my mini mag flash light. I found that the LED is Much brighter up close then the  2 D cell but it has a little better range. this is not a real big deal to me because I mostly use my flashlight to see where I am walking and not what is 50 yards in front of me ( not like i can see that far in the woods)
It is way brighter then the little smaller mini mag and has better range then it too.
I think i will be looking into the larger LED flashlights now

Offline Hound_Dog55

• Trade Count: (0)
led flash lights.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 12:52:55 AM »
LED's are great. I keep one of the small push button type about the size of a quarter clipped to my belt loop all the time.  Comes in real handy in the stand before the sun comes up.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
led flash lights.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 03:10:59 PM »
We use clip on the hat LED's for getting into the stand, but I also carry a Surefire G2 Nitrolon. I like to have the extra light just in case. I think the main advantage of LED's is battery life. THe Surefire is only good for about an hour of continuous use before you need new batteries. It's a trade off, so it's nice to have both.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
led flash lights.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 03:13:30 PM »
Another thought - Surefire has a new LED light out with some new technology in the bulb. I saw one at a gun show a couple weeks ago. It's very bright, and very expensive.

Offline ghostZ

led flash lights.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 04:58:35 AM »
I carry the G2 as well...when I bought it they had a led bezel for it.  The guy working said he carried a surefire(he was a CO) and when his light went dead he put the led on it and still had a few hours left using that.  I will also agree that it was very very bright.

Offline Dutch/AL

• Avid Poster
led flash lights.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 12:40:53 PM »
I've got a Black Diamond "moonlight" superbright LED that I picked up from Cabelas and I really like the brightness as well as it's compact size. When walking to and from my stand I clip one of the small green Stylus penlights to the head strap so that it is positioned vertically for safety. I also like the fact that it has a removable back cover that is made of rubber, so you don't have to remove a screw to replace the batteries in the dark. I carry an extra set of AAA batteries for it that weigh next to nothing.

To me the LED lights are the best thing to come out in a long time, and are priced so that everyone can afford them. I have heard that the large size flashlights with 12-20 LED's are good for bloodtrailing, but I have never personally tried one.
Sportsman 700 Twin

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.