Author Topic: 64-pounder  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 64-pounder
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 06:22:19 AM »
I think the blast is especially impressive on that video and frames picked through the whole event would be very interesting.
Max

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 07:34:57 AM »
It would be great if you could slow that down to super slow motion.

1,200 FPS (frames per second) is as fast as our company's camera will do, Max.  I have compared this mod. clip with an unaltered one and the speed is the same.  The lanyard whip is just as DD says and has nothing to do with wind.  

Parrott-Cannon,    It's dangerous to assume anything, but I will assume you want the bore diameter of 11" and NOT the O.D. of 25".  That would be much appreciated if you could calculate the velocity, then we could get a muzzle energy figure which, with a 137 pound shell, is going to be substantial.

Dan,    Double D is pretty sharp today, and I unintentionally mislead him originally, as I called that smaller lagging projectile a piece of water jug plastic when he asked that same question after the shoot.  Several did shred their plastic skins, but that shot was not one of those and the piece of material coming out after the jug left us behind, was a wadded up ball of aluminum foil.  We used 6 layers of heavy duty foil and with a hemispherical chamber, 4" X 8" long, quite a bit of foil is used for each shot.

Mike and I looked at that clip quite a few times and we guess that mass of concrete is traveling at 150 feet per second.  Parrott-Cannon will tell us if we are close or not.

Thanks DD, for the mod.  We got tired of waiting too.

Tracy and Mike

Based on the video posted the velocity is 180 fps plus or minus 2.8 fps.  I have attached a word document that documents the analysis.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 08:44:58 AM »
      To avoid turning this into a complete hijacking of this thread which WAS NOT my intent, I will open another to comment on these latest postings.  Thank you Boom J. for posting these brilliant pictures.  The clarity is truly stunning!  The comments from the Australian gentleman were very illuminating and very much appreciated.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »
I’ve never been one to concern myself with “hijacked threads,” in fact I find it kind of amusing when people actually get upset over someone taking a topic in another direction. I used to wonder if these individuals were disturbed because they thought that people in the future would then have a hard time understanding their original intent, that is in 75 years when the time capsule containing a record of their brilliance was dug up from the Smithsonian’s courtyard. :D
As for me, even if the changes in direction that a topic may take begin to resemble the zigzag formation of the lanyard in the second photo, I’m ok with it.
This is simply my personal opinion on the matter. ;)

I know this is basically an irrelevant post, but I couldn't think of anything else to say, and I had to get rid of the 666 times read; quick! :P

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 05:05:16 PM »
Same here, conversations tend to meander some, and if you have several people in it, there may be somewhat related side topics come up.  Keeps life interesting.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.