Author Topic: How do you carry spare ammo?  (Read 2080 times)

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
How do you carry spare ammo?
« on: November 09, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »
On my Handi-Rifles I carry the ammo on the stock in a slip on shell holder.  I haven't tried one for the shotgun yet.  It seems like it would make the gun butt heavy.  I have a shell pouch but it is hard to get them out of in a hurry so usually I just carry one in my hand. 

Offline JRW209

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Re: How do you carry spare ammo?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 09:57:36 AM »
I'm not a big fan of the butt shock shell holders. I have one on my 12 gauge pardner that I made and although it looks nice it does make the gun very unbalanced and not very nice to carry. I bought a slip on elastic one for my  20 gauge pardner and its not as heavy and the smaller shells aren't as heavy but it still doesn't feel quite right to me. I usually carry my shells in a pocket either in my hunting vest or in a small pouch that clips to my belt.

JW

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:41:12 AM »
I cut those elastic shell holders in half so they end up holding two shells. Doesn't make it as butt heavy.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 01:35:32 PM »
How about doing some creative stitching on a buttstock carrier and slipping it onto the forestock/barrel?
Im thinkin' with the shells rim down it wouldnt be too bad.
I have a field vest I often wear with shell loops on both sides. I shoot right handed so the right side loops work great. If I wear something else without loops I just dump some shells in my right pocket. Seems natural to me to reach into a pocket.
Lately Ive just been going for the KISS principle on a lot of this stuff.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 02:03:18 PM »
i dont use them for hunting, but they do have their place.it is hard to find a quality one and ive been thinkin of stitchin one up from leather.i like them on my bedside"get up when the dog barks shotgun" very comforting to know yu got 5 in the pipe and another few in the holder on the buttstock.

Offline 45LCshoooter

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 02:40:11 PM »
I really liked the speed feed stock that came with my Mossberg, always kept a couple of slugs on one side and some buck in the other...would do well on a Handi....
All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »
I always used a MOBU shell holder that fits on my belt.   It holds ten, but I only loaded five.  I still use shell holder when hunting, even though my Mossy holds five.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 03:21:43 PM »
I think I'm going to sew a couple of loops onto my shell bag.  That way I always have a couple easy to get to.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 04:14:47 AM »
I just remembered that some years back I slipped the elastic buttstock shellholder over my wrist/lower forearm and had them right there, well...handi.
Too tight with any kind of coat, OK with a field shirt and vest, and a wrist warmer too.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 04:37:05 AM »
I saw they do make a shell holder that goes on your arm, but I could see that becoming annoying.  I am looking for ideas cause I found myself with 2 squirrels in the same tree a couple of times the other day.  After the first shot I was fumbling to reload.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 06:46:23 AM »
That is 'period correct' for any time!
(you could get one of those new fangled, complicated repeaters!)
LOL
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline matthew_h

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 07:17:13 AM »
i carry a few in my pocket and sometimes one between my index finger and middle finger if think i may need to reload fast . i suppose one of thesehttp://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/bullet-wrap.aspx?a=683117 would work good .

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 07:57:09 AM »
That is 'period correct' for any time!
(you could get one of those new fangled, complicated repeaters!)
LOL

This is true.  However I do like single shot better.  It is much easier to carry.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »
Tuff Products (.com) makes a speed strip for 20 gauge, I don't know if they make 'em for others.  You know, a speed strip just like for .38/.357 sixguns?

Cat

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 06:13:18 AM »
I've got a sling that holds four shells, and that seems to work okay if I'm moving, but sitting in a stand I'll take the sling off as the weight of the shells make it a little annoying, and I'll just put the shells in a pocket.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Forestclimber

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 11:56:51 AM »
I have one of those elastic shell holders on my butt stock, but I just carry one shell in it.  I carry a few more in my front coat pocket.

Offline Hough-n-puff

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 08:05:18 AM »
I solved my problem with takeing a Bob Allen (that's what I had) 12/20 ga. shell belt, holds 25 rounds, and I cut the belt at and through every 6th loop.  Yea, I cringed at the idea at fisrt also!  I ended up with 4 (four) holders that each held 5 (five) rounds. 

With my hunting coat on, I took my right hand and placed it on my chest, left pec., much like what you do when saying The Pledge of Allegiance.  I shoot right handed, reverse this process if a southpaw.  At that spot and at that angle I marked the garment and sewed the piece of belting there.  When you cut at every 6th loop, this will give you 1/2 of a loop to sew/work with at each end.

On the coat, at the mark's, I also put some "TEAR MENDER adhesive made by VAL-A of Chacago" (that's what I had) and also some on the back of the belting.  I placed the belt on the spot, pressed/weighted it down and waited for it to dry, 2-3 hrs. and then sewed the corners down.  I sometimes, firmly believe in overkill.  It will not rip away!

I was so pleased with how well this worked, I also did my light weight jacket and even lighter vest to acommodate several types of weather.

Simple, affective and most of all HANDY!!!  I did all 3 pieces at a cost of about $10.00.

I am not endorseing the above mentioned Brand named products, that was what I had to use.

George

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 10:46:27 AM »
In a familiar pocket. Place the ammo where you "usually" search for things since you are already "trained". If you need ammo reach for your wallet ect......

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »
 I bought one of those plastic ATI bolt on shell holders.  I like it, doesn't stretch out like those elastic ones do.  It holds five shells, haven't noticed any balance problems with it yet but it does sorta mess things up for any right handers that grab my shotgun!  

Offline Hough-n-puff

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 08:11:41 AM »
I feal a rereply to my Nov. 30 post is in need of futher explaination.
I live in Wisconsin.  I have enjoyed (?) all 4 seasons during deer season in Nov.  Below 0 and as high as into the 60's.
The partial belt attached to my left chest can be easily used when wearing heavy gloves or shooting mitt's.  It is hard to dig into most pockets with heavy gloves or mitt's on and bring out a shell as quickly as you can with the chest holder.
I was on stand, it was cold, low teen's, heavy gloves on and 2 came through, 2 shots, 2 deer with my Pardner Tracker II.  When the drivers got to me, they all thought I was useing my 870.  They were surprized to see the 2 deer.  They were even more surprized to see the single shot.
Also, with the belt loops on the coat, it has struck quite a few interesting conversations at the registration station!!!
G

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 08:24:27 AM »
Ive been thinkin' of sticking a couple of 8ga.s in the coat loops as 'conversation pieces'.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline kaveman

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 12:36:17 PM »
Hough-n-Puff, great idea with the shell holders it sounds like a right "Handi" set up , any chance of seeing some pics of your "Handiness" I have been toying with something like that,  thanks Kaveman

Offline Hough-n-puff

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 01:36:37 PM »
Hey Kaveman,
Thank's for the friendly words!
If I could figure out how to post a pic, I would!  If you look up 'Techknowly (SP!!) (:) :) ) Challanged' you'd find a refference to me!!!:):)...
I like the 8 ga. comment too.  That would deffinately spawn a few light jokes after a few LITE'S!! 
I have a 'Guru' friend I'll ask to help getting a pic on here. 
Huff

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 01:51:23 PM »

The pockets of my hunting coat.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 03:14:22 AM »
Ive been thinkin' of sticking a couple of 8ga.s in the coat loops as 'conversation pieces'.

They would be good conversation pieces, but then the wonderful WI DNR would turn you into a fundraiser and write you a ticket for having shot loads on you during deer season.  Just give them a reason....even if they don't fit the gun you are carrying....

lm
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline Hough-n-puff

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 03:58:30 AM »
Lazermule,

GOOD POINT**** :-[ and correct.

I just took for granted the 8's were spent.

You are right on with the WI DNR.  I spent many years as a volunteer Hunter's Ed Instr.  I got to know alot of them.  Most of them are fine people, MOST of them.  BUT!!!  One ( ::) ) I got to know went so far as to ticket his Dad and Uncle and braged about it to me.  He said they were the worst pochers in that area.  Come to find out as a Warden, he was even worse!!!  HINT!  Don't ever threaten a 'MARK' over a scecured line at the nuclear power facility he is employed at!!! :o  Career modification. ;D

This got a bit off the topic, sorry, but after you commented about Uncle Deaner I thought this tastey tidbit might be interesting.

Huff

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 04:21:17 AM »
IIRC, providing one has the proper licenses, shotshell possession and use to take small game, varmints and birds during gun deer season in WI is legal.
The inverse is not; possession of slug loads outside of gun deer season.
This underscores the need to read and understand the regs before venturing out!
Apologies to the OP for off topic.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special