Author Topic: Hmm, .22Mag, .17HMR, or .223, need new toy....  (Read 1919 times)

Offline MacTech

• Trade Count: (0)
Hmm, .22Mag, .17HMR, or .223, need new toy....
« on: December 03, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »
Yes, I know that .223 isn't rimfire, but it *is* a .22 caliber projectile, and one I'm considering

I've shot a .17HMR before (one of the guys at the range let me try his Savage 93R17 BTVS) and really liked the accuracy of the .17HMR round, it basically *vaporized* a baseball-sized apple (lots of fun, and nothing left to clean up, as it was pulverized by the round), I like the fact that the round tends to disintegrate once it hits the target, lessening the chances of ricochet, but I don't like how affected by wind the 17 and 20 grain bullets are, I would expect that the .17 caliber bullet also carries less kinetic energy into the target, based solely on the weight of the projectile itself, 17 grains is not going to transfer as much energy to the target as would 40 grains, I also am not a fan of the "high" price of ammo ($12-15 per box of 50 in my area, that price gets me within $5 of a brick of .22LR)

I had a .22LR Sporter but had to sell it when money got tight (extended unemployment sucks :( , thankfully I have a full time job again now...), and I liked the gun, but I already have a couple nice .22LR rifles already (Marlin Model 25 which is an absolute tack-driver, and a 10/22 that shoots almost as well as the Marlin, it's also bone stock, amazingly enough) and really don't need another LR chambered gun, as the Marlin 25 eats whatever I feed it with no complaints, yes, even a mag with a random mix of S, L, and LR in it...

I've always considered the LR's "Bigger Brother", the .22 Mag, Dad has a Ruger Single Six that has both LR and Mag cylinders, and whenever I want to borrow it for a range trip, I can use it (Dad thinks he's "too old" to go shooting anymore :( ) so there's the advantage of ammo commonality there, ammo is also cheaper than .17HMR,and carries more mass to the target, "hitting harder", but from what I've read, the Mag has a "rainbow" trajectory when compared against the flat-shooting .17HMR, checking the ballistics table on Chuckhawks website, yes, the Mag has a curvier trajectory than the HMR, but nowhere near as bad as the LR, and since the maximum distance shot I'd feel comfortable taking is 100 yards (not too many long-range shots here in seacoastal Maine), that's well within the accurate trajectory of both Mag and HMR, in fact, at 100 yards, according to Chuck Hawks, the HMR would print 1.5" higher than POA, and the Mag would only print .5 above POA, since most of my shooting is done at 50 yards anyway, all three cartridges would do equally well

Then of course, the third variable, if I'm going to be shooting a hotter/faster .22 caliber bullet anyway, why not step up to the .223, it's flatter shooting than even the .17HMR, ammo is inexpensive, commonly available, *AND* the brass is reloadable, giving me plenty of bullet/powder options for working up powderpuff plinkers all the way to absolute screamers, problem is, I'd have to get another set of dies, stock some small rifle primers, and have yet another stash of bullets on hand

I like to try and keep my ammo/components supplies as common as possible...

I can use the same primers, powder, and bullets in both my .45 ACP and .45 Colt reloads (200Gr LSWC are my current favorites), so I only have to stock Large Pistol primers (Large Rifle primers work quite well when used in my BCC .45 Colt rifle) and can just vary what bullets i load into the primed cases

I'm getting into reloading for my 20 gauge (20G TDC), and I can also load for my 12G when I get around to it, and only need the 12G "dies" for my press and 12G wads, the primers and powder can be shared between them

at the moment, I only need to stock .22 rimfire ammo (a random mix of S, L, and LR, mostly LR, but a few boxes of CB Longs as well), if I went with .22 Mag or .17HMR, I'd have to add that caliber to the ammo stores as well, the advantage of rimfire is that I wouldn't need more reloading gear for it....

of the three, going .223 makes the most sense, so I tend to resist that, as it makes too much sense ;) , but there's something to be said for the simplicity of rimfire as well, no brass to worry about reloading....

So, between the two remaining options, for someone who mainly shoots at around 50Y with the occasional 100Y shots, which would be the better choice for Magnum Rimfire

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: Hmm, .22Mag, .17HMR, or .223, need new toy....
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
The HMR will give you essentially point of aim out to 100 yds and will dispatch chucks and other same sized critters out to 150 yds.
The 223 is much more rifle and will take coyote critters out to 300 yds. It will also take deer with heavier Nosler partitions BUT it not the best deer rifle IMO and I would limit deer to under 100 yards AND ACCURATE SHOT PLACEMENT IS A MUST.
I have Handies in 17,  22 mag and 223 I rarely use the mag as I find that if the 17 won't do the job the 223 will.
I made the mistake of getting a 22 mag barrel to fit my 17 and recommend against the second barrel option, unless you are to use open sights. By the time you get the second barrel, dedicated scope, ship it to the factory with insurance, pay the fitting job etc you might as well get another rifle you can grab or sell in the future.
With your 22lr collection I would tend towards the super accurate 17 for chucks, crows etc. or the 223 for the larger game.
With Handies, I don't feel the ammo cost difference to be a great factor as Handi owners are one shot folks and a box of 20 should result in 20 kills.
MONTVEIL IN THE NC MOUNTAINS

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 09:04:25 AM »
macTech
you said that you reload so it would be cheeper to shoot the 223 and reload
the 17 and the 22 mag are pretty close the mag might have the edge over the 17 at 100 yrds+
but the rim fire mag is not the cheepest to shoot  about the same as the 17 with price $15-$18 for 50
i have a marlin 25 mn 22 mag and i do like it for what it is.......just  a 22 mag
i tend to grab the 22-250 more then the mag.. i just wish i had a 223 cheep to shoot... just my .02 cents
     rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 09:41:53 AM »
Ive have the UV-22Mag in BC wood with a sportster swap barrel 22LR; nice package and easy to live with, but I shoot more 22LR than anything, and plink more than hunt. The Mag kinda takes the place of my gone .22Hornet.
What is your purpose for it? I like the blowin' up apples thing and would do more of that than hunt an occassional critter. But I never had a problem finding a plinkin' game for my .22LRs.
The .223 would be my choice in a reloadable because you can make .22Hornet equivelent on up; if you need more cartridge than that youve got the 'big bore'. I read an article a long time ago that made so much sense I never did it, which was, get your rifle(s) in the current military caliber(s), it will be the most available and affordable. So. .223 and .308 and I have neither.
But I know I will always shoot more .22LR than anything except for maybe the .177 air rifle when they tighten the screws on us too much.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline gator69

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 07:50:37 AM »
The .17hmr has less wind drift than the 22 mag and more energy down range than the 22 mag.. The cost of ammo is close to the same for either. But the cost of 223 is about the same as well.. If you have a rimfire only season or just want to have a tack driving rim fire I would go with the hmr. if you are just wanting to shoot tree rats crows and such go with the .17hm2 you get the basic same trajectory as the .17hmr out to 125 yrd But the ammo for the hm2 cost half as much as the hmr..
JMO..

Offline MacTech

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 11:10:10 AM »
Well, I may have answered my own question, temporarily....

I went to my "toy store" this afternoon to pick up some more Speer "Deepcurl" (actually, they're just renamed Gold Dots) 250GN HP .45 colt bullets, and while I was there, I walked through the used rimfire section, always on the lookout for a deal....

I spied one...

A Marlin (yes, I know it's not a H&R, put down that rotten fruit ;) ) 883S, in 99% of new condition, the thing looks completely unfired, gorgeous laminated stock, sharp, pristine MicroGroove rifling, I couldn't resist it, and put it on 7-day hold

the asking price? $200 and it looks basically new

I've basically figured out that I'm eventually gonna' end up with a .22 Mag *AND* a .17HMR eventually anyway, but this deal was too good to pass up, $200 for a basically *new* .22 Mag rifle, I have a Marlin Model 25 that I absolutely *love* (it was my first real gun, given to me as a 16th birthday gift), and I have been very happy with Marlin's accuracy and reliability

When I eventually do get around to getting a .17HMR (and probably a .223 as well) both of them will be H&R, as I'm a real fan of the break-barrel single, the 883S was just too good to pass up though

Heh, I've even been contemplating selling/trading my Ruger 10/22 carbine, as the Marlin 25 outshoots it, and I'm more of a manual-action kinda' guy myself, the only reason I've been holding onto it is it's incredibly accurate in stock form (one shot groups at 45 yards with CCI Blazer are commonplace), and the only mods I've done to it is to make the bolt release an auto-bolt release

stock 10/22, 45 yard shot, CCI Blazer, 15X mag scope, 5 shots

Stock Marlin 25, 45 yard shot, 12X mag scope, CCI Blazer, 5 shots (flyer was my fault, I rushed it)

Stock Marlin 25, 25 yard shot, 12X mag, CCI Blazer, 5 shots

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 12:33:21 PM »
looks like a keeper... ;D ;D ;D good shootin 
 rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley