Author Topic: Bought a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Bought a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40
« on: December 02, 2010, 06:00:26 AM »
For my Model 700 .30-06. to replace the Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 that's on it.  It is my Christmas present.  I looked at scopes for a long time and that was my final choice.

Now I need 3 more.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Bought a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 06:51:45 AM »
the newer vx2 is a much better scope both opticaly and mechanicaly then the old vari x 2. I like them so much its tough for me to justify stepping up to a vx or vari x 3 anymore.
blue lives matter

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 02:28:28 PM »
I heard the new vx 2 is like the older 3 but improved. Would you say that's a fair assessment?

It's been so long since I bought a variable power scope I'm not really up on the proper names.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline smokey262

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:37:25 PM »
I like them so much its tough for me to justify stepping up to a vx or vari x 3 anymore.

+1

Offline wareagleguy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
This is what you said!
"I don't pay over $200.00 for a replacement scope anymore.  It's just throwing money away IMO."
So why did you buy a scope above $200.00?  You just thew your money away!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »
Aww eagle it's Christmas let swampy celebrate. Don't we all wast money this time of year.  ;D

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 11:33:38 PM »
GOOD job Swampy!!

I have a bunch too, great scopes, a number of 3x9's. Most of mine are 2x7x33's a couple early 28mm's and a couple 1x4x20's. I have a bunch of VXII"s, a couple VARI X II's, a couple M8's, one VXI, and one VXIII. The III is markedly nicer, the I a bit less so but still very good. the 2x7x33 matte is by far my favorite. But its too short for my Mauser 98's without an extension ring that raises the scope too much. So I put 3x9's or fixed 6X on them. I think I only ever bought 2 or 3 of them new! I sent a half a dozen back for suspicions or reticule changes and love the quality service. (I'm Preaching to the choir I know.)

I tried a 2x7 Pro-staff upon the recommendations of many here. It just doesn't do it for me. I mounted it on the wife's Remington 760 35 Rem. She likes it. A couple years back, I also picked up two Pentax fixed power scopes. It surprised me, but I like these! They are clear, hold zero well and have a nice matte finish. But they are a long scope. I have a 4X and a 6X. I have a friend with one in a 3x9 I think and its awful!!! Doesn't hold zero, is not clear and you have to creep the stock as you increase the power. Maybe I got lucky and maybe the extra glass in the variable ruins it. I don't know.

I KNOW your going to enjoy it Swamp!!!  ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 11:53:29 PM »
This is what you said!
"I don't pay over $200.00 for a replacement scope anymore.  It's just throwing money away IMO."
So why did you buy a scope above $200.00?  You just thew your money away!

It wasn't my money.

I ride a Harley because you don't have to explain to people what a Harley is, not because I believe it's better than a Honda.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 03:40:44 AM »
You made the best choice in optics to going with Leupold.

yooper77

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 01:14:05 AM »
the vx2 is a big step up from a varix2 but i still think its a tad behind even the old varix3 and doesnt compare to the new vx3. I have to agree though with some of the others. Now that the vx2 is so good its hard to justify paying for a vx3. the vx2 is all the scope most guys will every appreciate.
I heard the new vx 2 is like the older 3 but improved. Would you say that's a fair assessment?

It's been so long since I bought a variable power scope I'm not really up on the proper names.

Regards,
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 01:36:26 AM »
the vx2 is a big step up from a varix2 but i still think its a tad behind even the old varix3 and doesnt compare to the new vx3. I have to agree though with some of the others. Now that the vx2 is so good its hard to justify paying for a vx3. the vx2 is all the scope most guys will every appreciate.

Regards,

I agree. My one VX3 is a superior scope to my other Leupolds. But its inicial cost and the fact that its so infrequently seen offered used, keeps me from owning more of them. It's also hard to justify it when VXII s can be had for under two hundred used.
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 07:11:46 AM »
I gave up justifying a long time ago.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 11:48:22 AM »
sounds good. is that the same optics as the ultralight 2.5x? would like one of those
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are