Author Topic: A fun weekend  (Read 469 times)

Offline BobbyB

• Trade Count: (0)
A fun weekend
« on: December 11, 2010, 02:39:40 PM »
Last weekend, my wife and I were invited to a ranch that a hog hunting buddy manages with his dad to take some whitetails off of it. Short explanation, they are taking all native blood buck and stocking with monster genetics.

I havent shot a WT in several years and was like a kid at Christmas. I shoot a 25-06 Ultra Rifle and I have killed 1 deer and some hogs with it and my son took a nice buck a couple years back using it.

The first evening I had to pass on this guy

A 160's class 12 pointer with 2 kickers to shoot what was allowed

A 2 1/2 years old 5 pt and also a 4 pt .

Karla used her Model 88 Winchester to take a doe that was half again as big in the body as my bucks were.
We got out, saw a lot of critters, had a good time and brought home a load of meat, and, are supposed to go back in a week or 2.

And sometime after the 1st of the year, we are supposed to go shoot some Axis deer on another ranch that has too many. Finally, after having this rifle for about 6 years now, maybe I can put it to use on a regular basis.  ;D

" If you can't have no fun, it ain't no use a'goin' ! " - over heard from an old man in a Sweetwater, TX cafe

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: A fun weekend
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 02:46:55 PM »
Congrats on the buck and welcome to GBO. ;D

Spanky

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 02:58:23 PM »
Do you reload? Depending on how much trigger time you get, you could try many different bullets/loads and provide us with a range report. ;)

I did just that many years ago on a feral animal (that will go unnamed, meow ;)). I learned quite a bit about shot placement, bullet performance and range estimation. I shot two different shotguns, .410 and 20 ga, with slugs and buckshot along with 4 different rifle cartridges, .223, .243, 25-06 and 303 British. What a good time I had! It wasn't fun burying them all.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline BobbyB

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 03:18:50 PM »
Do you reload? Depending on how much trigger time you get, you could try many different bullets/loads and provide us with a range report. ;)

Always wanted to, but never got into it. I have a buddy that is deeeep into reloading and he would load anything I asked. He prolly has several 25-06 loads there now. I'll check into it and see what happens.

I can tell you this, the 2 last weekend were shot with 120 grn Federal Fusions. At 100 yards the first was shot at a steep going away angle. I caught him about 5 ribs back, took all five out and the bullet exited between thye shoulder blade and the neck, straight out the front. he traveled maybe 30 yards.

The second was shot around 100 yards broadside. The entrance is under the tip of the forestock and the exit is straight out the other side, about 3 inches in diameter. That one made it about 50 yards.

I know I could shoot them thru the top of the shoulders and drop them right there, but I hate to ruin the meat.
" If you can't have no fun, it ain't no use a'goin' ! " - over heard from an old man in a Sweetwater, TX cafe

Offline BobbyB

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »
I'm gonna post this pic in the name of science. If it is too graphic, remove it.

This is how the buck fell and the exit can be seen. Actually looks much bigger than 3". He weighed about 125 lbs.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 03:41:33 PM »
One of the lawers my wife works for also has a vinyard and keeps threatening to invite me up to use some nuscence permits, but hasn't yet. Looks like meat in the freezer for you.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 11:33:23 PM »
WELCOME and congratulations on the deer Bobby!!

I have been on a couple hunts and been offered "surplus" animals a time or two. FUN to get the extra hunting and the meat is always welcome!!

Merry Christmas,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 11:56:02 PM »
 Welcome and congrats!
 That would be a fun weekend. Sounds like you have more coming. Be sure and post up the stories ;) We like picts of the ones you have to pass on. That would have been hard.

Lonny

Offline BobbyB

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 03:47:58 AM »
Welcome and congrats!
 That would be a fun weekend. Sounds like you have more coming. Be sure and post up the stories ;) We like picts of the ones you have to pass on. That would have been hard.

Lonny

I'll have to admit, even being 54 years old, it was a cool feeling having that big guy in my crosshairs!! ;D