Author Topic: Left hand lever guns  (Read 4386 times)

Offline KP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Left hand lever guns
« on: February 15, 2009, 08:14:59 AM »
I'm a righty, my son is a lefty. I need help getting him started right. Do all lever guns like the Marlin 336 work for left hand shooters? Advice from experienced left handers would be great.

Offline beerster

Re: Left hand lever guns
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 08:59:37 AM »
 I've had a win 94 for years works excellent for me. Only right hand firearms I won't buy anymore are bolt actions. I think a 336 will be fine unless the brass is distracting to him. Just my opinion.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:46:49 AM »
Not a problem. I have shot left handed for all my life with all actions to the point now that if I had to mess with a bolt, charging handle or a loading gate on the left side I would find it a nuisance.

What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:23:26 AM »
Not a problem. I have shot left handed for all my life with all actions to the point now that if I had to mess with a bolt, charging handle or a loading gate on the left side I would find it a nuisance.

Ditto that, BBF.  I had a lefty Model 70 once, and ended up giving it to a Nephew in law who is also left-handed.  Too heavy for me to lug around.  I've got a couple of right-handed bolts that I acquired and use them on occasion.  No problem.  But a Marlin or Winnie is usually my go-to rifle, and never had a problem with either.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 04:07:14 AM »
Thinking back over the years when a second shot was needed I can only recall a few cases when it was necessary* or even possible. The type of action was never a criteria for me.  Not in order of importance, style, caliber, price and accuracy were mine.

*never at game running away. It had to be down and kicking.

Offline Lefty Hunter

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 03:30:23 PM »
Lever guns work fine for both left and right hand people alike(only issue being with the safety on newer models).  I use a marlin 1894 in 44 mag and love it.  I have also used multiple 336's with no problems.  Having said that, I think if you ever go with a bolt gun definitely go with a left hand version.  There are plenty of models available and alot of companies charge little to no extra for the lefty version.  I switched after years of using right handed bolt guns and once I got used to it I was much faster at cycling the left hand bolt action.  ;)

I hope this helps.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:02:48 PM »
I am a dominant left-eye shooter.  Because of my stronger left eye I shoot off the left side about 80% of the time.  The primary problem I had with my scope equipped Marlin 336 was the factory hammer extension worked great on the right side but did nothing on the left side.  A hammer extension/expander is a must on a Marlin 336 equipped with a scope.  It gives the shooter better control and enhances safety.

The only “ambidextrous” hammer extension/expander I was able to find was the Carlson’s Hammer expander.  The expander is held on the hammer with an Allen screw.  To get a snug fit on the hammer I need to add a plastic spacer in the slot for the hammer.  When the hammer is in the cocked position it appears to have plenty of clearance, but when the bolt slides back in pushes the hammer down.  I had to file off major material from the bottom of the expander so the rifle would function correctly.

My primary rifle has been the Remington M760.  Some people change the safety to a left-handed model.  I see no need to make the change.  When carrying the rifle on the left side, I have my left hand between the pistol grip and the trigger guard.  I can easily release the safety.  I used the same method in timed, combat shooting with the M870 pump shotgun without a problem. 

I have no idea if the right-side loading gate is a problem for the true left hand shooter on the Marlin lever action.  I believe the removable magazine on the M760/7600 pump rifles is more convenient.

A major advantage for the left hand shooter when it comes to the M7600 is a good selection of different calibers normally found in sporting goods stores.

I have invested in four boxes of the Hornady flex-tip, 30-30 ammunition so I am properly equipped next fall.  I rather doubt that I will find it in every sporting goods store.

One of my favorite rifles is a Savage M110CL (Clip-Left).  It is a left-handed bolt-action rifle.  Like my M760 it is in 270 Winchester.  The safety is a tang safety easily reached from the right or left side. 

From an “ambidextrous” standpoint the advantage goes to the lever action and the pump action.

The ammunition handling advantage goes to the Remington 760/7600 and the Savage 110CL. (Loading/Unloading)

I recently upgraded the scope on my Marlin to a 2-7x35 from a fixed 4-power scope.  A couple years ago I was hunting an area covered with brush and pine regeneration with short potential shooting ranges.  I went from that to areas where lanes had been cleared. They were covered with low brush and small trees.  The potential for shoots beyond 200-yards was present.  The next day I switched to the M760, which is chamber for the .270 Winchester, and it has a 3x9 scope. 

When I hunt that area next season most likely I will be packing my Marlin with the new scope, and the Hornady LEVERevolution ammunition.  The Marlin has a history of accuracy; with the two upgrades it has become a better package.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 07:54:49 AM »
The hammer extensions I have ever used were on the Handi or a Marlin. It really didn't matter which way they faced, my thumb is flexible enough to work in both situations.
Re loading gates:
 Just what sort of situation a person would be in to have to reload in some hell fired hurry  a rifle that holds at least 5 rounds and up to 10 in a hunting enviroment I can't figure out. It is more of a pita to unload them at days end so I usually placed one  round in the chamber and no more the two in the magazine tube.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 02:47:23 AM »
The hammer extensions I have ever used were on the Handi or a Marlin. It really didn't matter which way they faced, my thumb is flexible enough to work in both situations.
Re loading gates:
 Just what sort of situation a person would be in to have to reload in some hell fired hurry  a rifle that holds at least 5 rounds and up to 10 in a hunting enviroment I can't figure out. It is more of a pita to unload them at days end so I usually placed one  round in the chamber and no more the two in the magazine tube.

BBF, I do the same thing--only with 3 in the chamber, and I normally use a full-length 26 inch Winchester that will hold a total of 8 plus one in the chamber. No need lugging all of that ammo in the tube.  The first shot should normally be enough if one is hunter enough to place his first shot right. 

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 06:14:40 AM »
To me, most lever guns are like most single actions in that they were made for us lefties by mistake.  Us lefties can hold the SA revolver or rifle in our left hand while loading with the right and don't have to switch hands to bring it into action. I've not ever felt to be disadvantaged using a Levergun.

HWD

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 06:31:47 AM »
agreed!
 I only have one lever action firearm in my posession now and it has a bang in rotary magazine which eliminates that pesky unloading drill.

Offline hansg/Ups

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 08:20:51 AM »
If you encounter a Savage 99 with a tang safety,you're all set.You sometimes find them in 308Win[or even better:358Win].Either loaded with spitzer projectiles will have better BCs than the Hornady Leverlution ammo.

Offline Biohazard Monk

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 08:56:29 AM »
My father owns a savage 99 that was his grandfathers.  From personal experience, being a lefty.  I have no problem shooting the 99.  His is chambered in the 300 savage.  It will one day be mine as well!

Offline KP

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 07:44:07 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

I went with a Marlin 336 in 30-30. The ballistics look pretty good using Leverlution rounds. I can load it down with ammo and really reduce the recoil. I also agree with many here, you only need one well placed shot. I would have bought a Handi Rifle or some other single shot, but I've not been too happy with their quality. Thanks fellas.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Well, here's my $.02, for what it's worth.  I'm not a lefty, but my dad, father in law, wife, sister, and daughter all shoot left handed, so I get to see what works for them.  My dad prefers lever actions and semi autos, since he grew up before left handed bolt actions were commonly available.  My sister doesn't like lever guns, but they wouldn't bother her as much if she would just button her shirt up a little higher.  Hot brass seems to distract her when it's caught in her bra, so she especially doesn't like lever guns like the Winchester '92.  My wife likes lever guns, but she dresses more modestly, so even the '92 is no problem.  I have my daughter hunting with a single shot, mainly as a way to keep weight down for her.  Even her 4.25 pound Contender carbine gets heavy after a long day, since she's only about 60 pounds. 

The down side of lever guns and semi autos for lefties is definitely safety.  If you have a case seperate, or some other kind of high pressure/brass failure event, the rifle will allow some of that to vent out the right side of the rifle, straight into a lefty's face.  Be extra careful, if you reload, and use only quality factory loads if you use store bought.  Even top eject lever guns can spit some gas out the loading gate and such.  I had it happen with factory loads, once, and it made me glad I'm right handed, with my face on the safe side of the receiver.
NRA life member

Offline Canuck Bob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 12:56:24 AM »
My primary rifle has been a 444 Marlin for decades.  Your son will very quickly forget all about the brass and then the gun is a lefty and well suited for a scope sight.  The gas rupture can be a possibility on a lever but a remote possibility.  I am amazed that people are not blowing barrels off rgularly with the reloading practices seen today.  Pistols are far more inherently dangerous for burns and cuts with hard jacking slides and revolver gaps and 50-60000 psi + cartridges.  The first blood my Colt MK4  Series 70 45 Auto drew was mine, second and third too, I think!

In fact when loading fast in the field the lever loading port location is ideal for a lefty.  I stuff rounds and don't have to move my trigger hand from the stock.  It takes a little practice but allows a lefty to load and resume firing quicker than a backward righty with levers.

An older Winchester ejects up and if a peep sight is used I consider them true left hand rifles and not a right hand rifle at all because the offhand feeds the mag as it should.

I owned a left Rem 700 years ago and sold it.  I find the lever a superior hunting rifle to bolts.  With a BLR, Savage 99, or Win 95 rifle they will handle excellent high power cartridges with spitzer bullets.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 09:38:30 AM »
Like some others around here, I'm cross-dominant.  Right-handed, but left-eyed.  As such, I shoot rifles left-handed, including lever actions and semi-autos.  I've never had a problem with the brass ejection from either (well, once with my Ranch Rifle smacking me in the bicep because I got my elbow too high, but that was my fault and not the gun).

With a lever action, I've found that shooting lefty is beneficial.  As others have pointed out, the way a lefty holds the rifle allows for loading with the right hand without taking the left hand from the shooting position. 

Offline John Y Cannuck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 04:37:14 PM »
One of the guys at moose camp is left handed. He hunted with a top eject 94 Winchester for many years without issue. But his family bought him a BLR.
He wanted to use the 308, so he's gone to it. Works fine, except for one issue. He's a short man, and has short arms. Short enough that his forearm is quite straight when holding the rifle, and sometimes gets hit by ejected cases. Sometimes those cases ( fairly often) bounce back into the open chamber before he can close it.
I think he needs a shorter stock, talking him into it.. that's another matter.
Canadian Liberal Gov't = elected Dictatorship

Offline Bingo

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 10:45:10 AM »
  My son is a right handed but left eye dominant. For this reason he shoots left handed. The Savage 99 has been a great gun for him. He has taken deer from 50 to 275 yards with his 300 Sav.
  The only recomendation I would like to make is keep the bulet weight down for young shooters. Heavy bulets such as the 180-200 grain tend to kick hard causing young shooters to "PULL' the triger instead of squeezing it. I have found that lighter bulets such as the 130 grain or Remington reduced recoil loads are more than enough for whitetail and don't come back at you like the big 30 cal. loads do.
   The deer my boy shot 2 years ago fell in it's tracks. He shot it at 275 yards with Remington reduced recoil loads. ;D  I now have enough brass to hand load for him and never load heavier than 130 grain for white tail.

That's My Boy!!!!!! ;D

Offline quietman

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 05:46:00 AM »
Although the OP got his rifle already, I decided to add this for others with the same question.

I Have Marlins and Henry's and shoot left handed. No issues with either. If you want to get him a gun he can hunt anything with, look for a used 308MX. Recoils is similar to a 7mm-08 (mild) and it's good for anything out to 400 yards.

If your shooting is 200 yards or less than a 30-30 will be just fine. Henry is coming out with an all steel one that weighs in at seven punds and will come from the factory with the XS ghost ring sights (about an $80 add on). My understanding is it will be available around February or March with a MSRP around $520 Plus, its made wholly in the USA. No other rifle manufacturer can match Henry's customer service.

I say look for a used Marlin as the new Marlins coming out of  the factory after the move to NY are getting some pretty sorry reports from the people that have bought them or handled them in the store.