Author Topic: Friends new 223  (Read 605 times)

Offline catman50plus

• Trade Count: (0)
Friends new 223
« on: December 07, 2010, 02:02:01 PM »
A friend called my yesterday, telling me they were selling H&Rs for 159.00. I was a bit suspect, but he said he held one last night. I told him I wanted at least 3. Well, the guy at the counter gave him the price on that other brand, you know, and I told him that I would pass, and he should too. He went back today, and did bring home the H&R in 223. We cleaned it, polished it, and checked it over, and after 15 rounds it settled right in, and was shooting 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds. He is going to shoot it some more tomm. and we both feel that it will do about the same at 100, in time. That is with the white box Win. from Wally World. Oh, this was with a 2008 rifle. I was suprised that the trigger broke like glass too. From his expression, he was happy with it, and am sure his daughter will be to since it is for her. I have a feeling he will have to have his own soon.

Offline APEX PREDATOR

• Avid Poster
Re: Friends new 223
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 03:34:39 PM »
Congrats on the find, and where did u find em?
There is nothin higher on the food chain than me

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 04:21:31 PM »
Well, the guy at the counter gave him the price on that other brand, you know, and I told him that I would pass, and he should too.

What was the other brand and why would you tell him to pass on it?
Do you have experience with the "other brand" or are you going by what you heard somewhere?

Spanky

Offline catman50plus

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 06:43:30 AM »
The rifle came from Wally world, and was not a bargain.

The other brand was Rossi. Yes sir, I feel as I have had enough experience with them, but maybe not. I do not have the numbers on how many have been sold, but I figure in my small town, I have had around 10 to come through, with various problems, that would indicate I would not want one. I know of 2 that were returned, and when they got them back, they were not much better than before. Several were traded in for something else. Most of them were .243 cal. I am not trashing them, since they sell a lot, someone must be happy. Like I said earlier, if the 159 price had been right, I would have gotten several H&Rs as I am sure anyone would have.

I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and good luck with deer season.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 07:11:28 AM »
I have a Rossi and an H&R, not both in the same place, so I cannot compare.  I think the internal parts in the receiver are near identical if not identical to the H&R.  I did check once and the pin holes in the frame line up with each other exactly as far as I could measure.  Rossi does have the side mounted safety which H&R does not.  Someone with some time to burn should take both apart and compare the internals.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 02:59:19 PM »
I've got a couple Rossi's... a 223 bull and a 7.62x39. They both shoot well and have been trouble free.

Spanky

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 03:13:33 PM »
I will say the current Rossi frames are much better finished than the H&R is.  The barrels are something else I think.  The only ones I have are a .22 LR and a 410.  The 410 is made in two pieces, the chamber part and a very thin barrel, they are extremely light weight.  The .22 barrel has a ring around inside about 6 inches from the muzzel, it still shoots fine, but it was clearly defective.  I had a .243 and the barrel was the roughest thing I have ever seen, My guess is they broach cut the rifleing in them, but I don't know.  If you could put a H&R barrel on a Rossi frame with H&R wood you would have a fairly nice gun.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.