Author Topic: 44 mag target load  (Read 672 times)

Offline BIG JAKE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
44 mag target load
« on: December 18, 2010, 03:35:31 AM »
 Anyone have a good load for practicing with a 44 mag?
squeeze it, don't pull it!!!!

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 44 mag target load
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 04:51:51 AM »
I had some dead-soft swaged bullets I picked up by mistake. 6gr of W231 was accurate but I still got some leading. For cast bullets I'm trying 8-10gr of Unique or 7-9gr of W231.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 07:28:16 AM »
Depends on what you're wanting your target loads to do.  I'm shooting 200 grain RNFP from Oregon Trail (cheapest bullets I can find that fit my barrel), and pushing them with 8 grains of Unique (about 1200 fps in my 22" barrel).  I don't cast, but that would be even cheaper.  I have to tumble lube the Oregon Trails in liquid Alox to keep them from leading, but if I do that they shoot great.  They are less accurate (3" groups at 50 yards) than a full-power jacketed bullet load, but good enough to hit cans in the back yard, which meets my needs.  I've also gotten similar results with 200 grain soft lead copper-plated bullets from Berry's, again using about 8 grains Unique.  At one time I had ambitions of using light loads to take head shots at squirrels, but I've decided that this gun (44mag handi rifle) will never shoot minute of squirrel.  Its still a fine deer and tin can rifle though. 
Duane

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 08:36:24 AM »
6.5 grains of Red Dot under a 240 grain semi waddcutter.  Around 900 fps.  I have shot thousands of em thru  my revolvers with great accuracy.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 10:50:42 AM »
I'm looking to punch paper with them. I'll be shooting them out of a 6.5 inch mod 29 and a 6.5 inch blackhawk.
squeeze it, don't pull it!!!!

Offline Catfish

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 11:23:17 AM »
I`ve been loading 240 gr. hard cast semi wad cutters with 6 gr. of Bullseye powder and Win. LP primers for for over 40 years and they seem to shoot well in every gun I have ever run them through.